PDA

View Full Version : Attention 400EX Owners Who Race MX!!!!!

MikeyM1980
09-02-2002, 03:11 PM
I've got a budget of $2500-$3000. I'm looking to purchase the following and need the help of EX owners or anyone who has excellent knowledge of the products I'm looking to purchase.
First:
Shocks, front and rear. Which brand is the best? Is having dual adjust shocks up front worth it or will I just need compression adjust shocks. Not looking to purchase long travel shocks and arms! Will a linkageless rear swingarm and shock give me more squat and wheel travel than the stock arm and linkage? My budget for front shocks is around $900 and $800-$900 for the rear.
Second:
A-Arms and possibly swingarm. What length arms and should I purchase +1" forward? Also, which brands do you recommend. For the swingarm is linkageless the way to go and what length?
Third:
Axle. Going to purchase an adjustable one just would like to know who has had the best luck with Lonestar or Durablue.
Fourth
Engine and exhaust. If there is any money left over from suspension and chassis I'd like to purchase a little more power and would like to know where to start.
Thanks

kicker696
09-02-2002, 04:16 PM
for the front shocks if you are wanting this whole set up for next year, then i would go with PEP zps shocks all the way around. but if you are wanting still race this year, then i would look into elka, i have heard good things about them.

As for a-arms, don't get +1 forward on the 400, just get a +2+0. what type of a-arms well personally i like strong arm, houser, and hermman. Lonestar are good yes, but they charge way to much for them.

The swing arm you might want to check out either houser, or laegar. they are both very good, its just that laegar is more popular by name. Talk to rico and see how he likes his houser swingarm. as for length, go with a +1.25 that is the hot setup for the 400.

I don't know about the linkage question to be honest, but i am sure someone on here will know.

for the engine, look into either a lrd, pro circuit, or WB e-series pipes for the first thing. i doubt you will have any money left over after the suspention though, but if you do then pick up a pipe, and look a either a 440 kit, or a 416 kit

Dave400ex
09-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Either Houser A-Arms and Swingarm, or Laeger A-Arms and Swingarm. +2, +0 A-Arms and a +1.25 Swingarm. For Shocks I agree if this is for next Season then get some PEP ZPS all around. If not look at Elka or TCS. Axle, RPM is the only way to go I think.

09-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Well then,

As for arms I run Lonestar +3 +1 and they work awesome. I can turn on a dime and they costed the same as the +2.

As for shocks I run PEP ZPS. They are by far the best shocks i have ever ridden. Definatly worth the wait.

Swingarm should be a Laeger +1 +1/4, that is what im going to get

Axle- I think the the Lonestar is the best. Thats what i run and they have a lifetime warrenty on breaking or bending. I run mine +4. Some say that RPM is good but i love my LSR.

As for the motor get a sparkes complete system with a 416 kit

trx400ex
09-02-2002, 05:57 PM
pretty much what everyone else said

Aarms: any kind of plus 2s, there almost all the same 500
Axle: lonestar is the best value, RPM is alot more money 320
Shocks: PEP zps all around, best thing you can do..1800

about 2600

that leaves enough for a pipe and piston kit.. i would get a rear shock over a swingarm

eldoexrider01
09-02-2002, 06:43 PM
if you do your homework and get some 1 way adjustable elkas w/o resies (elkas u can add em when u want) and get a rear rebuild you might pull away wit enough money for ur engine mods. jus make sure u get the pipe for the right rpm range hit that you want. i am goin to get the +1 housers cuz i do alota xc and woods ridin and need the clearnce. but the 1.25 swingarm is the hot ticket today. choose wisely and dont let anyone take ur hard earned $$$$$$