PDA

View Full Version : Need some Sirius help

CaptainCanuck
09-26-2006, 01:32 PM
I just bought Sirius replay satellite radio and I need some help with installation. Im not quite sure how and where to put the antenna.

First off, where do I put the antenna (magnet) ? I read that I am supposed to put it on the roof but how do I do that? Wont there be wires running on the outside of my car and are potentially at risk of being blown off or being broken? Or is there a better location that I could put it would create less hassle?

Also, I heard that the wire will do damage to the paint of my car if I don't do this properly. How can I prevent that?

I am pretty clueless on this type of stuff as I am not inclined one bit with audio stuff. I have a 2006 Ford Mustang if that helps with anything.

Thanks. :)

09-26-2006, 01:48 PM
i have xm and the antrenna are about the same. the magnet and wire will eventually mark your paint, i didn't care on my truck, but on my wife's mazda, we put the antenna in the front windshield on the dash. it started out as a temporary mount, but was totally unnoticable, got the same reception as my truck and even though there is no metal there for the magnet to stick to, it does not move at all.

if your dash is flat or close to it, this could work for you...

CaptainCanuck
09-26-2006, 01:57 PM
My dash is really flat. What did you do with the wiring? How did you hide it on your dash?

09-26-2006, 02:15 PM
there was a slight crease between the dash and windshield...the wiring runs along that to the center of the dash from the passenger side, then along the edge and up in under the dash. it snakes its way through the dash and comes out of an air vent. the antenna sits about 3 inches from the edge of the dash....like i said it was going to be temporary, because i installed it in winter, but after driving like that for a few months, you could hardly tell ti was there and neve saw any of the wiring so we left it...easy removal if need be...

FasstMidnightZ
09-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Put it on the roof right about the windsheild. Run the wire through the seal on the window and down throught the door jam and run it under the dash.

bulkdriverlp
09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
mount it on the trunk lid near the back window, put the wire inside the trunk and snake it between or under the back seat then tuck it under the lip of your armrest to the unit. i dont know any of these ideas are good, but i wouldnt mess with the windshield seal, not too bright in my book

cdrookie
09-26-2006, 07:26 PM
sirius was a huge waste of money for me($350+/-). hope yours works better than mine(all 3 over 6 months). customer service SUCKS, if you can ever get through. you'll be on the phone with a rep for 20 minutes as he's trying to diagnose your problem(basically just resending the signal) then when it still doesn't work he'll say "OH, were updating our satelite system, can you please call back later?". i could go on and on...:mad: but i'll go to bed instead.

HB416EX
09-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
sirius was a huge waste of money for me($350+/-). hope yours works better than mine(all 3 over 6 months). customer service SUCKS, if you can ever get through. you'll be on the phone with a rep for 20 minutes as he's trying to diagnose your problem(basically just resending the signal) then when it still doesn't work he'll say "OH, were updating our satelite system, can you please call back later?". i could go on and on...:mad: but i'll go to bed instead.

Total opposite experience.I have 3 recievers 1 in my truck 1 in girlfiends car 1 home my dad aslo has Sirius.Never any problems connecting or with customer service.I got it for Howard Stern but find myself listening to everything.The music is great Playboy channel SCOTT FERRALL is badasss.