PDA

View Full Version : CRF regular Maintenance

Rootar
09-26-2006, 12:46 PM
what are the suggested # of hours for checking the valves and springs and all that on the 05 CRF450's is it 8 hours and/or 3 races (as in race days) ?????

im looking at buy an 05 crf motr and setup and was wondering, i check the valves every 25-30 hours on my 400 and i do ride alot when i get the chance usally 6-8 hours a week. So woudl it be fine checking it every two or three weeks depending on how much i ride??

what do yall recommend???

stocktires
09-26-2006, 07:29 PM
-Check the valves every 10 hours or so. When it gets hard to crank, the valves are normally gone. So every 2 weeks max.

-Change the engine and tranny oil every or every other ride, depending on how hard you ride. Rotella T synthetic is the best/cheapest.

-Change the oil filter every or every other oil change. A reuseable is a VERY good investment.

-New plug every 3 rides

A topend rebuild is due after 100 hours, a compression tester would be a much better judge though. This is all kinda my personal feel after reading tons of info on CRF motors, they require MUCH more maintenence than a 400ex.

FHKracingZ
09-26-2006, 07:41 PM
if your going through spark plugs every few rides then something is wrong..:rolleyes:

jrspawn
09-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
-Check the valves every 10 hours or so. When it gets hard to crank, the valves are normally gone. So every 2 weeks max.

-Change the engine and tranny oil every or every other ride, depending on how hard you ride. Rotella T synthetic is the best/cheapest.

-Change the oil filter every or every other oil change. A reuseable is a VERY good investment.

-New plug every 3 rides

A topend rebuild is due after 100 hours, a compression tester would be a much better judge though. This is all kinda my personal feel after reading tons of info on CRF motors, they require MUCH more maintenence than a 400ex.

You forgot one --- Take CRF engine out and replace with YZ450F:devil: :blah: :eek2: :D

Sorry i just had to say it:D

Justin

Rootar
09-26-2006, 11:08 PM
wow you guys are nuts on these motors every 10 hours? lmao this wont be a full time race bike itll be a completely stock motor and stay that way, Damon @ Hri told me this afternoon ( i gave him a call) and two guys that he works on their bikes have crfs and the main thing is the AIR FILTER he told me the newer 450s are very sensitive to any tiny bit of dirt and to change the filter every time you get it out to ride it. and too change the oil very regualary after every other race during race season and/or atleast every 3 weeks depending on how much its rode. he said when im changing the oil is a good time to spend the 35 minutes it takes to check the vavles. they have run their two CRF the past 2 years woth no motor problems, (just keep fileter clean at all times, change oil pretty often as stated, and stay away from real high compression pistons) if i wanted it to be really reliable