PDA

View Full Version : towing with a car

red
09-26-2006, 12:39 PM
I have a nissan sentra and was wondering what you all thought about towing a quad with this car. The manual says it can to up to 1000 lbs including the weight of the trailer. I have a 99 honda 300 4x4 and was figuring the weight of that and the trailer would be around 1000 lbs. Just wondering if there would be any troubles that you all can think of and if this will damage my car. It is a 4 cyl.
Thanks
Red

300exOH
09-26-2006, 12:51 PM
It should tow just fine as long as you have the proper hitch. It may be hard on the clutch if it is a manual trans but it shouldn't hurt an automatic unless you plan to tow a long distance through the mountains. I would be careful about stopping on any large hills though since you will be close to the rated towing limit.

bulkdriverlp
09-26-2006, 06:15 PM
you can do it, but i recommend a trans cooler if its an automatic. balance the quad so you have a bit of tongue weight but not too much where the car sags too much. it will be a precice placement on the trailer. not enough tongue weight it will go back and fourth and youll loose it. wouldnt go far or fast thats for sure.

red
09-26-2006, 07:52 PM
the manual says 100lb tongue weight and 1000lb max towing so i guess i will have to figure it out.

honduh440
09-26-2006, 09:25 PM
i had a 6 cylinder stang when i was 16 and a trailer just big enough to hold my quad and it pulled it with no problem even in over drive

300exOH
09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by red
the manual says 100lb tongue weight and 1000lb max towing so i guess i will have to figure it out.

If you can lift the tongue of the trailer fairly easily with the quad loaded then you should be fine. You may have to move the quad toward the front or back to get it just right but as long as you aren't over the 1000lb limit you shouldn't have any problems. When you drive it for the first time with the trailer just take it slow at first and gradually increase your speed to make sure it doesn't start swapping back and forth. It's no fun when it's starts swapping on you at 65mph on the highway. I've had it happen once with my trailer and it scared the $h!z out of me.:eek2: