PDA

View Full Version : Dual purpose race quad

deepcj7
09-26-2006, 09:17 AM
My 400EX is set up perfectly for XC racing. I went to the local MX track yesterday to play around and probably will do a few races a year, but my suspension sucks for the big doubles. On some of the step down doubles my quad would bottom out hard enough that I didn't want to jump that section anymore. My suspension is a GT Thunder modified w/ rear link (rear) and PEP triple rates (front). Besides buying extra suspension set up for strictly MX, what else could I do? Just looking for some feedback and good ideas. Thanks.

JOEX
09-27-2006, 06:20 PM
BUMP!:)

400exrider707
09-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Tires and rims would definitely be different between the two types of racing. Also suspension definitely. MX is usally low and wide. Cross country is much more narrow.

firefighterjosh
09-27-2006, 08:11 PM
On my shee I had Derisi Rebuild my shocks for a XC PRo A set up and never had trouble bottoming out on the bigger jumps.

I took the XC 416ex out for a joy ride on the MX track and I have +1 LT A- arms and Elka Shocks. Not sure the set up on the shocks but they were for a 210lb guy that had it before me and I never had a problem with bottoming out. If you are going to race XC too I would go with a 20inch tire. 22 is took big for MX and 18 is too small for XC. Maybe get some Kenda Claws or Razr tires. I think they would be a good all around tire.

Hope this helped some

400exrider707
09-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
On my shee I had Derisi Rebuild my shocks for a XC PRo A set up and never had trouble bottoming out on the bigger jumps.

I took the XC 416ex out for a joy ride on the MX track and I have +1 LT A- arms and Elka Shocks. Not sure the set up on the shocks but they were for a 210lb guy that had it before me and I never had a problem with bottoming out. If you are going to race XC too I would go with a 20inch tire. 22 is took big for MX and 18 is too small for XC. Maybe get some Kenda Claws or Razr tires. I think they would be a good all around tire.

Hope this helped some

20's are too big for mx if you plan on doing more than like 1 race. Also if your suspension is bottoming out once in a while its not correctly setup.

firefighterjosh
09-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
20's are too big for mx if you plan on doing more than like 1 race. Also if your suspension is bottoming out once in a while its not correctly setup.

He wanted a Well - Rounded quad. 18s are too small for XC.

400exrider707
09-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
He wanted a Well - Rounded quad. 18s are too small for XC.

No he didn't. He said his suspension sucked and he said that he would buy MX only suspension. He asked what else he should do. There really shouldn't be any compromises if he wants to do both, hes going to have to buy both setups its that simple.

firefighterjosh
09-27-2006, 09:48 PM
"Besides buying extra suspension set up for strictly MX, what else could I do? "

I guess that saying just kinda confused me. I was thinking he watned to do both.

"probably will do a few races a year"

deepcj7
09-27-2006, 11:15 PM
JOEX- thanks for the bump.

Yes I'm trying to avoid having an extra set of suspension laying around. My quad sits pretty low.....as per GT Thunder instruction, I set it up at 7" at the rear of the frame and 8" at the front (ground clearence). It's been awhile so I don't remember if those were the exact numbers, but I did what Laz recommended. Is this what you guys are running for XC? I never have a problem with ground clearence with XC. I guess my next step is to try cranking up on the compression making it stiffer. By the way, I'm running 20"/22" Razors. What are you guys running for XC suspension set up?

firefighterjosh
09-27-2006, 11:59 PM
I run 20inch rear and 22 INch front for XC.

bradley300
09-28-2006, 06:08 AM
laz should be able to re-valve your shocks for both. it wont be the best for mx, or xc, but will be a real good compromise. just tell him what your wanting out of them and he can make it happen

Chino886
09-28-2006, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by deepcj7

Yes I'm trying to avoid having an extra set of suspension laying around. My quad sits pretty low.....as per GT Thunder instruction, I set it up at 7" at the rear of the frame and 8" at the front (ground clearence). It's been awhile so I don't remember if those were the exact numbers, but I did what Laz recommended. Is this what you guys are running for XC? I never have a problem with ground clearence with XC. I guess my next step is to try cranking up on the compression making it stiffer. By the way, I'm running 20"/22" Razors. What are you guys running for XC suspension set up?

Did you change your tires when you went to the MX track?

DEVINF450R
09-28-2006, 07:27 AM
this will raise your front ride height a bit but if you HAVE to turn you preload rings DOWN on the shock and it will make the shock a bit stiffer. keep in mind it will lose some of the smaller absorbtion but that is still better than bottoming out...try cranking your compression all the way up first. Some people say that compression all the way up is bad for your shocks but Todd from TCS personally told me that it makes no difference on the life of your shock.

JOEX
09-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by deepcj7
No problem. Nice to see you're still around;)

Originally posted by 400exrider707
I thought it was 'OK' for the suspension to bottom out occasionally so you know you're making full use of the travel most of the time?

deepcj7
09-28-2006, 08:27 PM
I did not change the tires out.....but they performed well. I know you want to run 18" rears for MX, but I can't. The GT Thunder rear XC link is not for use with tires smaller than 20" rears.
Devinf450R- Thanks, I didn't think of messing with the preload rings but that is a good idea, along with turning up the comp.

DEVINF450R
09-29-2006, 07:32 AM
thats what I'm here for ;) (and mostly gettin advice from most other people) haha