PDA

View Full Version : taking the lights off..

redlineranger
09-25-2006, 08:11 PM
is it the 04's or 05's that would kill the battery if u took the lights off and didnt get the resistor kit... friend of mine told me it was the 04's and they have since fixed the problem, and then another friend of mine has had his lights off his 05 for over a year and it hasnt died yet... i just want to make sure ya know.

thanks

VIGILANTE MAN
09-26-2006, 04:42 AM
It's suggested that both the '04 & '05's need the resistor kit when removing the headlights. The 06 & 07 models come stock with it.

redlineranger
09-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by VIGILANTE MAN
It's suggested that both the '04 & '05's need the resistor kit when removing the headlights. The 06 & 07 models come stock with it.

thanks bro... i cant afford to go and buy a resistor kit though im saving for bigger things, so i'll just take them off when racing, and put them back on when not.

does it affect the way it runs though? i seen a post on here one times that the year models that didnt have the kit on it, didnt run good with the lights off. any truth to this or is just one person having the problem?

jshtex
09-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Our bike runs like crap with the lights turned off.... If your bike runs fine with the lights turned off it will run fine with them removed. But... You may end up with a dead battery.

redlineranger
09-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by jshtex
Our bike runs like crap with the lights turned off.... If your bike runs fine with the lights turned off it will run fine with them removed. But... You may end up with a dead battery.

yea thats what i was getting to in my last post. mine runs fine with the lights turned on or off. but i know i've read a few posts where people say when they take the headlights and tailight off all together it starts running like crap. i cant afford to keep racing with them on though cus if i break them beyond repair i'll have to buy new ones cus i do a decent amount of night riding. besides if the battery goes dead i can charge it.

jshtex
09-27-2006, 06:47 AM
[i] besides if the battery goes dead i can charge it. [/B]

Be carefull a dead battery has cost us a race. If you stall it and it won't start thats bad......

We run the ytz10s battery (I think thats it anyway) from the CBR600 honda bike in ours. You have to shave some plastic from the battery box but after that it looks like it was ment to be there. This batter is bigger and has more than twice the cca of the stock one.

LostCause439
09-27-2006, 08:09 AM
I think the whole lights off the quad and it going kaput is all shens. I have 04`s and 05`s with no lights and never a problem.

redlineranger
09-27-2006, 06:58 PM
thanks guys i appreciate the help.

Toadz400
09-27-2006, 07:52 PM
My '05 has never had a problem running no lights. I had them off for about 2 months and never had a problem with my battery dieing. I know some people with '04's who didn't have this problem either. I guess it depends on how lucky you're feeling.

redlineranger
09-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
My '05 has never had a problem running no lights. I had them off for about 2 months and never had a problem with my battery dieing. I know some people with '04's who didn't have this problem either. I guess it depends on how lucky you're feeling.

yea i heard that... if i get time before saturday(my next race) i'll take them off, if not i'll just do it when i get time. i work after school and dont get home til way after dark, so ya know how that goes.

WhiteYFZ
09-27-2006, 09:19 PM
i have an 04 and took off the lights. never had a problem for the year that they have been off.