PDA

View Full Version : coolant is gone

YFZ450Ridr
09-25-2006, 07:26 PM
well 2 weeks ago i went riding and when i got home and cleaned it i noticed the coolant level was a little low so i filled it up not thinking anything about it. now saturday i went riding and i got home and the coolant is almost completly gone.

don't the 04s have some sort of water pump seal thats bad or somthing? i changed the oil and it wasnt any wierd colors or textures. anyone else have similar problems with an 04 yfz.

StuckInTheMud
09-25-2006, 08:26 PM
i take it that you are using engine ice? ive been told that the yfz's when using engine ice that it will eat away your water pump gasket, not sure about reg. antifreeze but id change it to be sure

1fst400
09-26-2006, 07:37 AM
When it is running look under the water pump cover. if it drips there then it is the water pump seals. They are very common problem for the yfz. They are a seal on the water pump shaft that seperates oil from coolant.

So what yamaha did, instead of lettign the cooolant leak into the oil. they put a little weep hole, allowing the coolant to leak onto the ground rather than into your oil when the seals go bad.

YFZ450Ridr
09-26-2006, 02:36 PM
oh alright.. makes sense. ill give that a shot, and im just running stock coolant.