PDA

View Full Version : Affordable hop ups

kcalexan83
09-25-2006, 06:15 PM
I recently bought a brand new 400 ex and I am looking for advice on any cheap performance gains. I thought about a slip on but i was told it wasn't worth the price and sound increase. I would like to keep it as quiet as to not offend any of the neighbors. Thanks in advance. Kyler

Scro
09-25-2006, 06:20 PM
A pipe is considered by most a necessity. You can buy quiet-core pipes that aren't much louder than stock but still give performance. If you do get exhaust, removing the air box lid and jetting accordingly will help tremendously.

Also, try dropping a tooth on the front sprocket. It will give it some much needed torque.

JPhonda
09-25-2006, 06:23 PM
air filter and jet kit. some people say rev box but i wouldnt on a stock motor. the rev limiter is set there for a reason. its ok if you have money in the motor tho. another good power increase thats wicked cheap is going down a tooth on your front sprocket. you well lose some top end but its worth it for the bottom end.

kcalexan83
09-25-2006, 06:30 PM
I deffinatly wont get a rev box. My uncle has one but on a stock motor. Any dyno charts i have seen show the power dropin off before it even gets to the limiter. Im probably atleast gonna start with a smaller sprocket since i am on a tight budget at the moment. Thanks

hondajoe05
09-25-2006, 10:17 PM
well actually the 13t in the front depends about what riding you do.. correct me if im wrong 05-07's have 14t up front and 04- have 15t...

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by kcalexan83
I recently bought a brand new 400 ex and I am looking for advice on any cheap performance gains. I thought about a slip on but i was told it wasn't worth the price and sound increase. I would like to keep it as quiet as to not offend any of the neighbors. Thanks in advance. Kyler

Whut up Kyler? I didn't know you were a member on this site! You know who I am?

You should ride Eric's 400. We put a Slip on HMF and it seemed to help a little on tourq. It is very loud though. I would try to save and get a full system HMF system. I got in with mine at the dune trip so we know it is prally under 96db.

kcalexan83
09-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Hey hows it goin Josh. Kinda on a side note but i got my pics back from the dune trip. If ya want to see them give me a call sometime. Thanks again everyone for the advice and if you have any more suggestions keep them rollin.

flauge
09-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Taking out the choke helps a lil bit too.:cool:

krt400ex
09-26-2006, 06:58 AM
a 6 degree advanced timing key is $20 from sparks(last time i checked). it gave me a noticable difference in bottom and and midrange power, also boosted my throttle responce