PDA

View Full Version : Honda protection plan

coalson
09-25-2006, 12:55 PM
should i buy the extended warranty or is it a waste of money? Ive already had my 450 in the shop for the starter, I plan on putn a stage 2 hot cam in. but does it void the warranty? I dont want spend money on the warranty if it voids it because of the cam
ive heard that the hrc cam does not void warranty but any other cam does let me know thanks

lumi
09-25-2006, 01:11 PM
yea the hotcams is gonna void the warranty , extend the warranty and get a hrc kit, great kit and it doesnt void warranty that would be my choice. but if you know about your engines and your gonna do alot of work to the engine and body of the quad, the warranty is gonna get voided, so dont get it.

-lumi

GIXXER1KR
09-25-2006, 07:25 PM
wARRANTY IS ALL UP TO THE DEALER u bought the quad from.i have it and the dealer i bought it from is *******s.They put my Airfilter kit in wrong and the bracket wore a whole thru the outerware and the K&N and only coverd half!!!:confused: Hate to see if i need to use the warranty.But it is nice if i ever have starter or tranny problems!!!

Architects
09-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Depends on the dealer. Some will let you get away with aftermarket cams, Pistons, and what not. Honda is in the process of replacing my frame for free. Frame being 940 and 65 an hour for labor the warranty just paid for itself right there. I would of been SOL without my extended plan. Food for thought.

d3ktrix
09-26-2006, 08:52 AM
I have a few more weeks to decide if i want my extended warranty also.

Dunno what to do -_-

I mostly want it to cover the frame and the internals of the engine/tranny.

Flodies400ex
09-26-2006, 11:12 AM
I am damn sure that if you let the dealer do all the engine work liek piston,hotcam and anythign to do with the egine then very sure that its all covered and yoru warrenty wont void but i have the 4 years warrenty and The frriend of mine said just run the crap out of it and blow the engine and get a new one lol and I paid an extra 2 grand for the warrenty and if you look down in my signature and thats all I got for the price of 9 grand but I know it a little to much but the four year warrenty helps

Flodies400ex
09-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
I have a few more weeks to decide if i want my extended warranty also.

Dunno what to do -_-

I mostly want it to cover the frame and the internals of the engine/tranny.

its doesnt cover the frame by the way just the engine like what you said and you just got to keep up with oil changes from the dealer and such liek that and your warrenty wont void

d3ktrix
09-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm pretty sure it covers the frame. When the guy at my dealer was trying to sell me the warranty one exaple he gave me was "You can come off a jump wrong, crack the frame, and we will replace it."
And there is no required dealer maintence to keep ur warranty, it says it right in the manual. You can do all ur own maintence.

And 2k for a 4year warranty? lol
Its $450 from my dealer.

coalson
09-26-2006, 12:31 PM
42 months of warranty( its 48 if you count the first six months that are free i believe) for $594.00. They take 3 monthly payments of $198.00 :D I decided to go with the warranty, and i let them change all my oil and put everything on (like cam and other stuff) just in case thanks guys for the help

by the way does it cover frame or not just wondering i call if no one knows for sure and ask them

Architects
09-26-2006, 12:41 PM
2 grand for a warranty. You got ripped big time unless there is something im missing. I paid 540 for ,

Edit- It covers the frame. I am getting mine replaced for free.

KatHouseMouse
09-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by coalson
42 months of warranty( its 48 if you count the first six months that are free i believe) for $594.00. They take 3 monthly payments of $198.00 :D I decided to go with the warranty, and i let them change all my oil and put everything on (like cam and other stuff) just in case thanks guys for the help

by the way does it cover frame or not just wondering i call if no one knows for sure and ask them

That all depends on your dealer. The first frame that I broke on my 04 they didn't want to but eventually replaced... the second time they would not.

coalson
09-26-2006, 12:47 PM
I just got off the phone with the honda protection hot line or whatever you want to call it. They said that they do not cover broke frames, do to a wreck. I said what it you dont wreck ur jumpn a hill and land and the frame breaks then what do you do.His answer was well that would be neglect hahaha( what do they think we do with these things putt around with all four tires on the ground enjoying the scenary ) come on there atv's so we argued a bit and he gave me a new number to call. He did say that as far as the cam goes as long as it is a honda product (hrc ?? prob) and installed by an honda tech that its all good. these peps arnt very friendly . well im of to call the other number to see what they say. ( im just curios if they cover the frame or not) sorry bout the spelling i suck should have paid more attention in school instead of dreaming about fourwheeling lol

Flodies400ex
09-26-2006, 01:03 PM
well I paid like 1200 I think sorry about 2 grand but I have an extra warrenty for the engine and for the frame I think but I will double check when I get home because I am at college so I dont no exact how much I spent on the warrentty because I had everything put on like pipe,k&n, hrc full kit and hole crap loud of opther extras

Architects
09-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I hate the honda protection hotline. Everyones a moron. There response for everything is we dont cover that. There ideal rider is one that doesnt ride at all. They view everything as neglect. Just become a pain in there side and you'll get what you want.

DirtDevilBT
09-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Depends on:

Owners machanical skills
How often they ride
How hard they ride
Any future engine mods planned
Relationship with dealership

I bought mine from a place far way from me, so any dealership might not like me, however I have a good relationship through family past with my local store. On the other hand I am technically savy in most areas other than electrical. I also have many mods a warrenty wont cover and knew this going into the purchase of my bike.
Lastly, I've had bad experiences with extended warrenties not covering parts or "normal" problems and or noises.

450 Racer R
09-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I have the extended six year plan on my 04. paid 800 for it. my rod bearing went bad awhile ago. I just dropped it off today at the dealer with a stage 2 hotcam and a je 13:1 piston which I installed myself. I talked to the service manager and he said that he'd do everything he could to get it covered.

I dropped the bike off with the topend in a box because I took it apart myself. I told the guy that I'm not looking to spend any money and if Honda doesn't cover it I'm just going to do the repair myself and cancel my extended plan. he then told me that he'd do everything he could to get it covered through honda.

you should be alright with aftermarket parts. as long as the motor doesn't fail as a direct result of the aftermarket part. like if you put in a new cam and you lose a bearing on the bottom end because of a cam failure or something.

DirtDevilBT
09-30-2006, 10:23 PM
or if you put a 13:1 piston and cam causing the motor to handle more power and harmonics than intended. Just saying, don't be surprised. Good luck with that though, just the way I feel towards extended warranties.

d3ktrix
09-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
or if you put a 13:1 piston and cam causing the motor to handle more power and harmonics than intended. Just saying, don't be surprised. Good luck with that though, just the way I feel towards extended warranties.

Agreed, sounds like an easy one for them to get out of :P

Cam and piston does A LOT to almost everything in an engine.