PDA

View Full Version : Steering stem bushing

Donkey1
09-25-2006, 11:30 AM
How long does it take to replace the bushing. Does it take any special tools

Scro
09-25-2006, 11:36 AM
All you will need is a large socket that will fit the outer edge of the bearing. Then just tap it with a hammer.

Crazy Diamond
09-25-2006, 09:41 PM
On a Z you will need to remove the oil reservoir. If I remember correctly! Someone correct me if I am wrong. But I think when I changed mine I had to take it out so that the ears on the stem cleared enough to get past the bushing. You need to get the stem out past the bushing in order to remove it. And before its out far enough you hit the tank and can't avoid it!

jonboy
09-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah on mine I just took the bolts out of the tank to move it back a little. Once the stem was up out of the way I did like SCRO said and used a socket to pop the old one out. Then I just set the new one on the stem and seated it a little and drove it in by hitting the top of the stem with a rubber mallet. Worked OK for me.

Donkey1
09-26-2006, 05:44 AM
Thanks. It does not sound to bad.

erac4019
09-26-2006, 09:12 AM
When I did mine I left the plastic on and just unbolted the tierods and took the bolts out of the radiator and oil tank so I could pull the stem up. I dont remember but I think there was enough slack in the throttle cable and clutch cables to just pull up on the stem to replace the bushings.