PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lake Sand Dunes Michigan is it worth it?

jrodulery
09-25-2006, 06:24 AM
Looking to make a trip out to Silver Lake Is it worth it or not? We just got back from our 12th trip from Little Sahara and we want somthing different. I cant finde any pictures of the dunes to see how big they are. We like the big jumps! We are thinking mid October is that a good time to go?

Thank you

Raptor68
09-25-2006, 06:42 AM
I live in Indiana, and from here, Silver Lake is definitely worth the trip, but it is only a 5 hour drive for me. If you live in Iowa and have been to Little Sahara, then Silver Lake might not be worth the trip. It is about 500 acres, so not huge, but it is right on Lake Michigan, which is nice, especially in the summer. However, with the lake right there, it will be pretty cold in October. The hills aren't huge, but its one of my favorite places to ride. Those are the only dunes I have ridden and the only ones that are this far east. You may be disappointed having just gone to Little Sahara. Just my $0.02. Try searching on Google, because there are several sites out there with pics of the dunes.

jrodulery
09-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Raptor68
I live in Indiana, and from here, Silver Lake is definitely worth the trip, but it is only a 5 hour drive for me. If you live in Iowa and have been to Little Sahara, then Silver Lake might not be worth the trip. It is about 500 acres, so not huge, but it is right on Lake Michigan, which is nice, especially in the summer. However, with the lake right there, it will be pretty cold in October. The hills aren't huge, but its one of my favorite places to ride. Those are the only dunes I have ridden and the only ones that are this far east. You may be disappointed having just gone to Little Sahara. Just my $0.02. Try searching on Google, because there are several sites out there with pics of the dunes.

Do they check db levels and do you have to have Michigan Registration?

Jackie
09-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by jrodulery
Do they check db levels and do you have to have Michigan Registration?
98db, spark arrestor, orv sticker for quad and/or truck if you take it on the dunes, and a daily park sticker for all of them. You don’t need a regs. If little Sahara is anything like glamis forget it and go west. I have been to glamis and silver lake, but I only live 1 hour and 20 minutes from silver. Oct. can be cold, so I take winter garb just in case. We will be there Oct. 6th & 7th.
:D