PDA

View Full Version : Dislocated thumb...how to fix

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 03:41 AM
4 years ago I dislocated my thumb after flipping over the handle bars. I also fratured some little bone behind it.

I have been riding alot since then but I just really started racing consistent and wanting to be a factor for the points next year. My problem is my thumb gets tired/numb feeling after like 15 mins of really hard riding. My thumb hurts way before I get Arm pump.

This is also my thumb throttle thumb. Is there a brace or somethign I can wear to help? I have been doing exercises trying to loosen it but nothing helps.

Any input will help

Thanks

250R-Dee
09-25-2006, 04:42 AM
Talk to a physical therapist. They will tell you how to strengthen your thumb.

You should also try to find a thumb throttle that offers more leverage from less force.

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee
Talk to a physical therapist. They will tell you how to strengthen your thumb.

You should also try to find a thumb throttle that offers more leverage from less force.

I have a moose one and it helped alot. Been to the physical therapist. Didn't help.

Just wondered if a brace would work:confused:

MR.BIG
09-25-2006, 07:06 AM
You could always switch to a twist throttle!

Doober
09-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
You could always switch to a twist throttle!

IMO that sounds like the best thing to do

gbcap
09-25-2006, 09:27 AM
twist throttle is the way to go. once you get used to it you will like it i am sure.

massage therapist, physical therapist. they should be able to help you get that better. the thumb isn't something we all think about 'strenghtening' so it prolly got weak when you didn't use it for a while and you never built it all back up.

09-25-2006, 09:35 AM
You can get a throttle were it alows you to kind of use your palm to give it throttle.
OR
XR's only sells a kool thing. Its 2 throttles in 1. It allows you to have a thumb throttle and twist and you just push a button or somthing to switch. That be a good idea cause then when your thumb got tired just switch to twist by a push of a button. Thats for 400ex which im gessing your talking about.

250R-Dee
09-25-2006, 10:25 AM
I destroyed the thumbside of my right hand when I was 12 years old while trying to re-enact some "saturday afternoon Kung Fu theatre" moves on a mongoloid who was making his 3rd trip through the 7th grade. I spent 4 months in a cast/brace because I broke several bones in my hand and dislocated two joints in the thumb. Physical therapy was 3 times a week with the sports medicine trainers at the University of Alabama as soon as I got the hard cast off. I am glad Coach Bryant loved the little league football players :D. I was playing summer league baseball and riding my 3wheeler like a madman with no problems whatsoever after the doctors cleared me for more self-destruction.

Sports medicine related physical therapist are much better than the run of the mill therapist.

It seems like a twist thottle is going to be your only option if you can not strengthen the affected area.

Shift_450R
09-25-2006, 10:34 AM
I have alot of thumb problems also and even on short rides my thumb would kill me. I tried a twist throttle to see if it would help. It was the best mod i have ever done. I think everyone should expierence a twist throttle on a quad. they are sooooo much better then thumb once you get used to it.

09-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee
I destroyed the thumbside of my right hand when I was 12 years old while trying to re-enact some "saturday afternoon Kung Fu theatre" moves on a mongoloid who was making his 3rd trip through the 7th grade. I spent 4 months in a cast/brace because I broke several bones in my hand and dislocated two joints in the thumb. Physical therapy was 3 times a week with the sports medicine trainers at the University of Alabama as soon as I got the hard cast off. I am glad Coach Bryant loved the little league football players :D. I was playing summer league baseball and riding my 3wheeler like a madman with no problems whatsoever after the doctors cleared me for more self-destruction.

Sports medicine related physical therapist are much better than the run of the mill therapist.

It seems like a twist thottle is going to be your only option if you can not strengthen the affected area.

Depends what he likes. That xr throttle kit would be a real good idea if he likes thumb better and then switch to twist the thumb got tired.

If a aftermarket carb is being used it might be making the throttle stiffer. On my 400ex i went from stock carb to a yz 39mm carb and the throttle felt a lot stiffer like the yfz450 stiff throttle.

Their might be differant springs that can be used to make it easier to push.

I would get the xr 2 in 1 throttle cause i dont feel i have as much controle with twist. Their are a lot of times i would have crashed if i used twist like when i mess up in woops i would have cranked back and lost it.

If you trail ride get twist.

09-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Shift_450R
I have alot of thumb problems also and even on short rides my thumb would kill me. I tried a twist throttle to see if it would help. It was the best mod i have ever done. I think everyone should expierence a twist throttle on a quad. they are sooooo much better then thumb once you get used to it.

I could never get used to it no matter what. I had a dirt bike and no never felt good with a twist throttle and i think i could have went faster in the turns with a thumb throttle.

09-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Theirs rist braces that might make your thumb feal better.

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I thought about teh twist throttle. I had one on my warrior and I did not like it at all. I was young though. I would panic when I would loose control. I might buy a brace and try it. If that dosen't help then I might try a twist and see what happends.

JJ69
09-25-2006, 07:42 PM
you could custom build a setup to have the clutch on your right and the throttle on your left?

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by JJ69
you could custom build a setup to have the clutch on your right and the throttle on your left?

OMG that would be crazy.

Tommy 17
09-25-2006, 07:48 PM
i had a friend that cut the side off a handle bar and got an old thumb throttle and put it on it... then he rigged up springs in it and kept increasing the tension until his thumb was ok...

he would take it in the car and everywhere and just keep doing it while he had a free hand...

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i had a friend that cut the side off a handle bar and got an old thumb throttle and put it on it... then he rigged up springs in it and kept increasing the tension until his thumb was ok...

he would take it in the car and everywhere and just keep doing it while he had a free hand...

Great IDEA!!! OMG I am going to have a super thumb!

ShiftFMX
09-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Too Bad you didnt need a front brake and could rig it up so your throttle was controlled by your index finger!

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Too Bad you didnt need a front brake and could rig it up so your throttle was controlled by your index finger!

I have a buddy that can CNC machine parts for me. What if I put the throttle upside down and have him make me a finger throttle lever. I have some good ideas NOW. Even if they don't work I will have fun trying.

Right now I am going to get a long bolt and tape it to my thumb throttle and see if the extra levrage helps. If it does I may have my friend make me a super long lever.

09-25-2006, 11:14 PM
jet ski throttle ;)

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
jet ski throttle ;)

Never rode a jet ski. Is it similar to a snowmobile?

09-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by JJ69

A guy with 1 arm had a quad with a throttle and clutch on the same side:eek2: .

Rdhanded2
09-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Throttle Extension (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=5342&navTitle=Control&webCatId=12&webTypeId=87&navType=type)

I have this and really like it after I got used to it. I broke my thumb and joint a few years ago and really had problems at times with thumb throttles until I started with this. A buddy gave it to me because he didn't like it, and it broke after a bad crash so I replaced it first thing.

09-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Never rode a jet ski. Is it similar to a snowmobile?

ive never rode a snowmobile

its a finger trigger throttle that you pull back with your 2 fingers

firefighterjosh
09-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Rdhanded2
Throttle Extension (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=5342&navTitle=Control&webCatId=12&webTypeId=87&navType=type)

I have this and really like it after I got used to it. I broke my thumb and joint a few years ago and really had problems at times with thumb throttles until I started with this. A buddy gave it to me because he didn't like it, and it broke after a bad crash so I replaced it first thing.

Do you use the pulm of your hand more then anything? My mom has one on her Bomb. I might have to borrow it and see how I like it.

Kick - Thanks for the idea I might have to look at that