PDA

View Full Version : running like poo

Aaronb
09-24-2006, 10:31 PM
So i have an 05' 450 and its running like crap. It has a yosh. pipe and all the other goodies, installed by the dealer. Out were I ride there is a descent hill climb that i like to charge, usually ill get up it in third gear but lately I have to down shift all the way to 1st. And then this weekend at pismo i was getting smoked by everybody. I service it regularly. The only thing different that i have been doing is running a mix of 105 octane with premium gas.
I think my motor is crapping out on me. I dont know whats up!

TMSmx47
09-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Ever change your piston?? I would say thats numero uno on my list if my bike felt like that. As for a mix of 105 and Prem, unless you DID change your piston at some point to like 13:1 or better.. Wasting your time man!

Aaronb
09-24-2006, 11:23 PM
well it looks like i might have to tear into the motor then. Good time for a big bore kit.

roundsy
09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
should try a tank of straight premium first, too much octance from the 105 mix might be causing it to run like crap, probably cheaper to try this before a big bore kit as well

ghott
09-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by roundsy
should try a tank of straight premium first, too much octance from the 105 mix might be causing it to run like crap, probably cheaper to try this before a big bore kit as well

I definitely second this. If you have a stock piston in any year 450R...anything more than 93 R+M/2 Octane is overkill. Higher octane gas in a 10.5:1 or even a 12:1 compression motor could cause it too run like crap.

Another option is to check out your jetting. List your mods for us, tell what year your R is, and we should be able to get your jetting pretty close.

Lastly, how many hours has it been since you've adjusted the valves?

So, unless your R is smoking like an old lady playing poker, the re-build could wait :)

Architects
09-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Id go as far and say this is a jetting problem becasue your mixing race gsa in. Run straight premium

Aaronb
09-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Ill drain my tank and run reg. gas thru. Thanks guys

gbcap
09-26-2006, 06:37 AM
look at your vavles. you can loose some power if they are slightly out.

Flodies400ex
09-26-2006, 11:19 AM
what I would do is take it to the dealer and get the valves check and the jetting because if the dealer did all the work then they should fix it for yea but if you no hwo to do the vaves and such then just adjust your valves because mine never got the valves checked for about 35 40 hours and it started to run liek crap win i drag race and then I took it in and they said yoru valves had to be adjusted and now I am just waiting intell I go pick it up but it cost liek 234 for labor,first oil adjustment but thats fine by me

ghott
09-26-2006, 11:22 AM
$234! WHOA!

Thats robbery right there.

Buy yourself a Hot Cams Shim Kit for $75 and do it yourself...the kit comes with many different shims. $75 one time fee...instead of $234 every 20-30 hours....:)

dealership = stealership

Flodies400ex
09-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by ghott
$234! WHOA!

Thats robbery right there.

Buy yourself a Hot Cams Shim Kit for $75 and do it yourself...the kit comes with many different shims. $75 one time fee...instead of $234 every 20-30 hours....:)

dealership = stealership

yea the laber was 75 an hour but its bullcrap but I guess they said on the phone they adjusted the valve and changed the tranny oit included the egine oil and probley put some more fluid in the radater and such but its just the first checkup so it should go way down in price when I take it in the next time but when do I need to take it in again? because this is the the first checkup!

Aaronb
09-26-2006, 08:26 PM
I did get the extended warranty so they should hook it for minimal cost. Hopefully!