PDA

View Full Version : Colt M-4 help

Pappy
09-24-2006, 08:46 PM
I have a DPMS and I would like to add a M4 to its side for close in work. I did a quick search but came up with a ton of online dealers etc.

I will be approaching a local dealer and would like to nail him down on a price.

Any one buy one of these lately and what did you pay?

Thump_It
09-25-2006, 12:28 AM
I don't know much about the Colt M4's, but my dad just got a Rock River M4. He is a part of the SWAT team here and researched the many different companies out there making that particular model. There was a test that he found that compared the top 10 manufacturers of the M4's. The test was brutal. One test was setting the guns in salt water for 2 hours, then removing and shooting. Another test was throwing the gun 15 yards onto asphalt then shooting. The Rock River came out on top passing all the tests. I know this doesn't answer any of your questions, just thought I'd throw that out there. I think he payed around $1100 for the gun.

trinityrap
09-25-2006, 03:31 AM
mines not a colt ,but a bushmaster
bought the whole rifle for 800
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/CBRSCOTT/bushy1.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/CBRSCOTT/bushy2.jpg

may i also suggest you buy the upper only?
hope the link works...
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=9&Categoryid=11625&categorystring=10636***10560***8807***11619***

infantry317
09-25-2006, 07:55 AM
WWW.BUSHMASTER.COM , that's the way I went. I built my own DPMS lower and bought a Bushy M4/AK (16") upper since the true M4 is not legal (14.5" barrel).

swampfoxsc
09-25-2006, 08:16 AM
It's gonna be tough to find a Colt in the near future. Information was just released that the Iraqi army will be going to the M16/M4 over the Ak's they are using now. The initial order is for approximately 50,000 M16's and 50,000 M4's. Production of all civilian and LEO Colt's is rumored to be cut for a while. I said, "rumored" but not confirmed. A local LEO supply store can't get Colt's at all right now.

Which AR to get is like the old Ford vs Chevy arguement. I just tell people to get one of the top brands and they'll be good to go. I prefer Bushmaster but have an Olympic Arms and a DPMS. All three have been flawless.

There are options when you want to purchase an M4 profile AR. The true M4 has a 14.5 inch barrel with a removeable flash hider. TAn AR with that barrel would have to be NFA registered as a Short Barrelled Rifle (SBR) OR have a flash hider permanently installed to get the length to 16 inches. The other option is to get a 16 inch barrel with the M4 profile.

Locally, we have a Sportsman's Warehouse that has Bushmasters for just under $900. That's about the only place I have checked recently on factory built AR's. I plan to build any future AR's I get. It's cheaper and I can get the exact parts I want for my build.

infantry317
09-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Good info :chinese: I used to be really up on that stuff but since I got a quad five years ago, it kinda went by the wayside. Still have the toys though. :D

Birddog5150
09-25-2006, 08:29 AM
I agree with the RRA(Rock River Arms) being a good choice.

I have a RRA tactical entry model.I built the lower and bought
the complete upper. It does great..
I am sure with your firearm knowledge you could put an AR15 together easily.. Building is cheaper and it lets you know how
the guns functions...Just my .02 cents.

jonc623
09-25-2006, 10:54 AM
pappy dont rule out superior arms from wapello ia they are great i have one and love it paid less than a grand for it and it is all custom built has ceramic coating on teh outside micro slick on the carrier flat top colapseable stock pretty good all around .

Pappy
09-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys....

I have access to a few Colt M-4's....and yes I have the paperwork done to get one including it being full auto. Its not a good choice for the work it will need to do if it isnt:p

There is a reason i want a colt, if things get bad I want interchangable parts. Armalite and a few others I am sure will be compatable but its one less worry I have to deal with.

ak_stick
09-25-2006, 04:04 PM
funny, if you were to buy a colt, thats actualy the only one that might not be interchangeable parts wise.

Colt sells two receivers, a large pin, and small pin, and only the large pin will interchange with other uppers.

Plus, its just a name, Colt, DPMS, RRA, Armalite, Bushy, ect are all great guns. Having owned or used most of them I have to say I'd probably try to get a FN just because the one I toted in Iraq never failed.

Pappy
09-25-2006, 04:37 PM
I have the pin that will make either work.

swampfoxsc
09-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

I have access to a few Colt M-4's....and yes I have the paperwork done to get one including it being full auto.

Unless you are a police officer issued an M4 for duty work OR you are buying a pre-1986 Colt full auto receiver valued at about $12,000, you ain't getting full auto legally! Be very careful with that NFA stuff. It's 10 years and $250,000 for anything illegal.

All of the top manufacturers are interchangeable except for that weird large hole Colt. In fact, no manufacturer makes all of their parts inhouse. The same suppliers make many parts for most of the top brands, even the receivers. There's alot of B.S. in the AR market. A Smith&Wesson AR is just a Stag that's been rebranded but it costs alot more for that S&W name.

Again, be careful with those short barrels and full auto. You can't even have a short barreled upper receiver in your house if you own AR's that aren't NFA registered.

Pappy
09-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Trust me, anything i own will be 100% compliant with all federal laws and such. Just sent my federal tax money in along with a ton mor epaperwork.