PDA

View Full Version : battery woes

josh400EX05
09-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Alright, I bought a brand new 2005 TRX400EX a couple months ago. The dealer needed to get rid of it and I got a great deal on it so I swooped it. This is my 1st ATV and I still know nothing about them so I am looking for a little help here.

When I 1st tried to start it at home it was pretty cold outside and I forgot to put the choke on and I kept holding down the start button and it wouldn't start for a while. By the time I rememberd that I needed to choke I choked and the engine started right up but ever since then its been a pain to start it. The battery would barley kick over the starter so I took it back to the dealer and they charged the battery yesterday. Today I tried to start it and the battery is like already dead so i'm guessing its not holding a charge. If the dealer wont put a new battery in for me is this battery never going to hold a charge again and i'll have to buy another one or does someone know a fix to this??

Honda4lyphe
09-24-2006, 05:58 PM
For one its brand new, so what id try is get is started, make sure ure kill switch is off of course, and choke it if she dont start up instantly, when it starts turn off the choke, another thing is since its new give it hell so-to-speak you need to break your engine in, i think after that it should do better.

firefighterjosh
09-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Honda4lyphe
another thing is since its new give it hell so-to-speak you need to break your engine in, i think after that it should do better.

Give it HELL???? LOL don't give your brand new engine hell. Just ride it through the trails and stuff . You can punch it but don't hold it wide open or anything. Maybe punch if for a gear or two. Just ride casual for a while. In the "How to" Section there is a Break in process article. It shows alot of diff ways to do it.

Jump start your quad and ride it around for a while to help get the battery charged. Let it set overnite, try to start it the next day. If it dosen't start then tell the dealer you want a new battery. They should give it to you under warranty