PDA

View Full Version : 06 e-start problem

TCracin440ex
09-24-2006, 04:20 PM
well i just recently got my 06 450r...and just the other day the starter started acting really stupid it would free spin for a long time and eventually it would kick out and turn the motor over what is causing this....i hope that the teeth on the gear is not messed up or anything i know i will be calling my dealer about this tomorrow hopefully the warrenty will cover this problem because the bike is only a month or so old and already having starter problems

TCracin440ex
09-24-2006, 05:16 PM
bump

the predator
09-24-2006, 05:49 PM
i expeiremced this on my predator, have no expierience with the 06 r (i have a 05) but ti sound like the one way clutch thats connected to the back of flywheel and the starter gear...the bearings are prob flatening, and will catch every once and a while.

TCracin440ex
09-24-2006, 09:16 PM
i dont know what is wrong with it....it seems like the starter is not kicking out to turn the motor over....

Flodies400ex
09-24-2006, 09:33 PM
do you keep up with the oil changes and do you keep enough tranny oil and make sure you have it full to what ever how much it need in the tranny and in the engine because i all here is this and I didnt have not yet had any problems with my 06 450ER and do you power shift because that could be because why that happened

DRT
09-25-2006, 03:26 AM
I would say its the sprag clutch in the starter . Mine does that when its hot. I've heard of a couple this happened to and don't think its a warrenty item.

KrazyKeith
09-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Take it back to the dealer it needs fixed I had the same problem 2 months after buying mine they fixed it and now its good. You can search on here and find lots of ppl that have had starter probs. I think mainly cause touching the throttle when starting makes it kickback on the starter parts.

KrazyKeith
09-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Flodies400ex
do you keep up with the oil changes and do you keep enough tranny oil and make sure you have it full to what ever how much it need in the tranny and in the engine because i all here is this and I didnt have not yet had any problems with my 06 450ER and do you power shift because that could be because why that happened
How could powershifting hurt the starter?

09-25-2006, 05:28 AM
your starter is shot...i just had mine rebuilt, as did lonestar_r.

they replaced:
1 bearing(31x36x18.5)
1 gear(35t)
1 ring, friction
1 clutch, one-way
1 clutch outer
1 gear (23t)
1 gear(9t/19t)
1 gasket, R. cover
2 hp coolant qt

i added all the parts prices up and it came to $380 some dollars.

i was told that this is cuased by using throttle when starting the bike...DO NOT USE ANY THROTTLE after you get it fixed

i contacted them in the last week of my warranty and lonestar_r was about 4 months out of his warranty...neither of us paid a dime...they had the bikes for about a week

Flodies400ex
09-25-2006, 10:31 AM
sorry abou that I was suppose to post about somethign else ops lol but yea what ever you do dont push on the gas when you start it because thats how it happens

lumi
09-25-2006, 11:20 AM
you might have burned your starter. no more than 5 seconds pushs or the starter might go! and yup like he said^ no gas when trying to start it. good luck

-lumi

TCracin440ex
09-25-2006, 04:09 PM
i took it to the dealer today its still under warrenty so they are gonna fix it...the mechanic said that what was probally wrong is the starter clutch went out...because the starter is fine its turning over and everything...i do not give the quad any throttle when starting it at all....if its cold i just turn on the choke and hit the button and she fires right up....after she has warmed i take the choke off and off i go

im scratching my head wonderng what the hell powershifting has ANYTHING to do with my starter.....i dont powershift i used the clutch all the time...

i do keep up with my oil changes i just recently changed the breakin oil because the 20 hours were up...so i do not ride it that much maybe an hour or so (IF THAT) during the week...and maybe every other weekend ill take it ridding..