PDA

View Full Version : heat torch???

Razorback
09-02-2002, 08:13 AM
i think i'm finally going to try again to get my pivot bolt out of the swingarm so i can lube the thing. i know it's seized/rusted to the spacer sleeve, so i want to heat it to see if that will help break it loose. i haven't used a heat torch before, so i'm a little concern about setting something on fire. how much of a risk is there when using these things? i'm just concerned with all the wd-40 and grease on the quad and getting a torch anywhere near it might cause problems :D

any help?

Ben
09-02-2002, 08:43 AM
hehe, I have no experience with this but please video tape it so we can see your ordeal. I've never seen a 400ex deliberately torched. :D hehe, just joking. Good luck with your project. :C

Rip_Tear
09-02-2002, 10:08 AM
You mean just a propane blow torch right? Just let the WD sit for over a day then use the torch and you shouldnt have any problems!

Razorback
09-02-2002, 01:01 PM
yeah, that's the kind of torch i was thinking about. just haven't used one, so i've got some reservations. thanks for the input...

TheX1992
09-02-2002, 06:05 PM
use knock'er loose penetrating fluid and an impact wrench :)

4punksdad
09-03-2002, 06:36 AM
heat is no good for bearings, engine gaskets, etc etc. keep the heat away from anything that will be damaged.

I would think the impact gun might be a better idea. Only use heat as a last resort.

yamaha1470
09-03-2002, 07:44 AM
doesnt heat make the bolt expand making it harder to get out?

UglyMotha™
09-03-2002, 08:57 AM
ya if you heat the bolt it will expand and you'll never get it out, i'm a mechanic and the torch is a gift of the gods for me but i can tell you the torch won't work for this application cause normally you heat the housing or the surrounding area around the bolt it will expand and then the bolt will slide right out, so in this case you would actually need to heat your swing arm which isn't a good idea cause anytime you heat something you weaken it so ya if you take the torch to it you can expect a broken swing arm so in my opinion dont' do it i would find a different method like a bigger hammer

09-03-2002, 09:10 AM
Call Jeff at the quadshop he's got a better way of doing it..he explained it to me and there's no cutting I don't believe..

Razorback
09-03-2002, 10:36 AM
thanks rico.