PDA

View Full Version : fcr carb prob on 04 trx450 need help

teamtackett14
09-24-2006, 09:47 AM
I have a 04 trx450 and i bought a 02 41mm fcr carb off the crf 450, i ported and polished the head put a je 13 5 1 piston and hot cam, it runs good with the stock carb, but i cant hardley make it up a hill with the fcr carb cause it spits and sputters the whole way up the hill, it runs good most of the time on flat ground but any time you get it in a bind or off camber it wants to spit an sputter or just die, ive changed the jetting put a quick shot on it adjusted my squirt put a msr air fuel mixture screw in and messed with my needle and the needle is stock the only thing i havent messed with is the leak jet, the floats work perfect everything has been gone through and seems to work fine!

If anyone has this same prob and fixed it or might know how to fix it I would appreciate all the help i cant get!

THANKS

GPracer2500
09-24-2006, 10:18 AM
What's the current jetting?
At what throttle position does it run rough?
What are your other mods and what temps/elevation do you typically ride?

teamtackett14
09-24-2006, 03:38 PM
i think all the jetting is stock i havent changed it just messed with the air/fuel mixture anytime from quarter to three quarter throttle
not sure with my elevation is? i just came back in from working on it i took the needle out and put the clip on the last ring on the bottom and it didnt really make a diff
and my plug looks prefect the mixture seems to be right on

trx450rider11
09-24-2006, 09:14 PM
go through and clean everything. even the gas turn on part. and the filter it sucks through. then check your air screw or fuel screw. it should be around 2 turns out. i got the same mods and had the problem. every time i came off a lip it would bog when i was pinned. but i think it was the air screw. but check the plug and see if its running lean. also running good race gas. instead of using the gas station race gas. and after all that check ur wires. cause i had a wire come off my cdi box. so it could have been shaking loose or something. thats all i got for ya

teamtackett14
09-25-2006, 11:20 AM
all my electrical is good, cause it runs fine with the stock carb
i run a white bros filter and av fuel with 1ounce of klotz 2 stroke oil to five gallon for lubrication the plug looks perfect

2muchquad
09-27-2006, 06:01 AM
The carb is jetted too rich for your motor.The crf motor runs a more agressive cam than the quad motor even though you have a hot cam not to mention the stock exhaust system on the crf is more freer flowing.i would ask around to see what the guys with the newer models that came with the fcr are running,it could put you in the ballpark.You said it was "sputtering",thats almost a dead giveaway of a rich condition.;)

teamtackett14
09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
i have a white bros race xhaust the jetting as of right now is and 82 main 52 piolot the niddle is on the 2nd to last clip on the bottom so i have the needle raised up for more air, i did have a white bros foam filter but i put a k&n on it and helped a little i also put 2 small peices of spounge in the boal to keep the fuel from sloching around

2muchquad
09-27-2006, 01:59 PM
i have the needle raised up for more air

Thats going to make the carb want to use more fuel,its gonna make things richer.Try the 3rd from the top and go from there.I think you should have around a 12 main not 82,that doesnt sound right but ask around.Take the sponge out of the float bowl,its probably clogging the main jet at wide open throttle(WOT).Dont worry about fuel sloshing around in the float bowl,its designed for off road use not sitting still like a generator.:D

deathman53
09-28-2006, 07:39 PM
82 main, that really lean, don't you mean a 182 main. change the main to a 172 and start from there. I have a crf450r in quad frame, 4mm big bore kit, ported head, tc exhaust, crf carb. I use a stock pilot and needle, 178 main, no airbox lid, 114 leaded race gas and it runs perfect.

motox450
09-28-2006, 08:56 PM
something else to check is the fuel line coming from the tank to the fcr. If there is any kink in it at all your quad will run out of full and cause it to pop. Mine did the same thing until i shortend the fuel line and presto. If you are running a 182 main you are very rich on top. With the mods you have I would say a 165-170 main jet with a 45-48 pilot 2 turns out on fuel screw. It takes time and patience to jet it correctly. Don't be afraid to change them out and see what runs the best.

teamtackett14
09-29-2006, 03:22 PM
well i have a jet kit on the way so hopefully ill be able to get it right
thanks