PDA

View Full Version : Warming up 400ex?

yellow400ex05
09-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Alrighty, MY 05' 400ex has about 30-45 hours on it, and I'm starting to get a little frustrated with it. Evey time i go to warm it up wether it be 80 degrees or 50 it takes forever fo it to warm up enough for it to be able to idle on its own! And i've tried adjusting the idle screw, but i can never seem to get it right. i even turned the idle slightly higher and it would still stall even after have been started for 2-3 minutes I can't really let off the gas or let it idle or it will like die down and stall. I've tried setting the idle a little higher but it would still do it, and i dont want the idle too high, i have it like right on the perfect idle setting. And now I'm starting to think the jetting is a little rich from the factory. Do any of you think its a little rich from the factory, bc i can't think of any other reason why it would be this hard to keep running.

thanks in advance! sorry for the lengthy post!

2004exrider
09-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Its a 400ex they are just naturally cold blooded, and they are jetted lean from the factory. Nothing much else you can do except
put in a #42 pilot jet. That will help out quite a bit.

Jimmy

TRX23rider
09-23-2006, 07:39 PM
i had the same problem. a 42 pilot jet should take care of it.

krt400ex
09-24-2006, 07:00 AM
i leave my jetting stock. with the choke on, rev the thing at like 1/4 throttle for like 3 min, and then shut the choke off and pump the throttle(idle to wide open) like 10-15 times. when the thing stops bobbling off the bottom then ur ready to go.