PDA

View Full Version : Warming up 400ex?

yellow400ex05
09-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Alrighty, MY 05' 400ex has about 30-45 hours on it, and I'm starting to get a little frustrated with it. Evey time i go to warm it up wether it be 80 degrees or 50 it takes forever fo it to warm up enough for it to be able to idle on its own! And i've tried adjusting the idle screw, but i can never seem to get it right. i even turned the idle slightly higher and it would still stall even after have been started for 2-3 minutes I can't really let off the gas or let it idle or it will like die down and stall. I've tried setting the idle a little higher but it would still do it, and i dont want the idle too high, i have it like right on the perfect idle setting. And now I'm starting to think the jetting is a little rich from the factory. Do any of you think its a little rich from the factory, bc i can't think of any other reason why it would be this hard to keep running.

thanks in advance! sorry for the lengthy post!:macho

ikes05400ex
09-23-2006, 06:19 PM
i have a 05 too.if i dont start it just right it will flood i have put more spark plugs in this thing than all my other quads put together.i think its jetted rich from the factory i just bought a k&n power up kit with a dyno jet kit i will be redoing my carb

zrpilot
09-24-2006, 12:28 AM
I can tell you my '05 EX was a pain to start, until I put in a 42 pilot jet and adjusted the idle screw for the new pilot.

Now at any temp 50-90+ I just give it two stabs of the throttle then start it and walk away! It does stay running!

Do a search and maybe others have the same experience as I did!

Look at my sig for all the mods I have made to mine.

Good luck

Here is a picture!

bigbearkid4x4
09-24-2006, 08:18 AM
my 02 would be a pain to start as well and i would always foul plugs. but now since i put the pipe on and rejetted its starts up great. i hit the starter button and walk away with now throttle and i didnt change the pilot jet either

WickedATVer
09-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Check you Air/fuel screw before you go and rejet. A turn in to lean it out during idle might very well help and if you need info to do it check the articles page.

Honda4lyphe
09-24-2006, 05:50 PM
I usta have the same problem with my 250 but it wore off, guess because its brand new lol..

firefighterjosh
09-24-2006, 10:58 PM
On my 02 I have to feather the gas for a min then it is fine.

Have you adjusted the Vavles?

troutman561
09-25-2006, 09:08 AM
My friends 04 has the same problem, and he has to use the choke at ever start up whether its 20 our or 100..... but on my 05 ever since i got it i start it, give it gas twie, and its good to go, i rarely have to even use the choke in the winter time, i guess it just has to do with the bike, each is different.

yellow400ex05
09-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
On my 02 I have to feather the gas for a min then it is fine.

Have you adjusted the Vavles?

yes it has had them adjusted at the 15 hour checkup it had the whole 9 yards done. oil change and tire pressure checked along with the valves adjusted etc. It only has about 30-45 ish ghours on it.