PDA

View Full Version : 87 250x ?'s

danw82
09-23-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm new to quads and just bought a 250x for $50. It needs rings real bad so I'm gonna get a wiseco race piston kit and rebuild the lower end. What is the best setup I could do and still have a reliable motor? It has a Kurker exhaust on it right now but I plan on getting rid of that quick. My main ?'s are what motor and suspension parts can I get from other wheelers that bolt on my 250x? I'm not sure where to look online so if there is a cross reference site somewhere please post it up. I don't race I mainly do trail riding, love to go through big nasty mud holes and do wheelies. If anyone has any ideas to help the wheeler out going through that kind of terrian please let me know thanks.

I was told that 300ex parts are all the same but not really sure. I'd like to get more ground clearance if I could.

danw82
09-25-2006, 07:23 AM
TTT for any info I can use. Mainly what common parts will work from other quads.

honda250xrider
09-25-2006, 08:58 AM
a 300ex has universal parts, the 250x motor is a very reliable motor! if you are wanting to keep it relaible i would say keep the compression around 11:1 any more and you may need to run race gas, but that would still be a very reliable and safe compression. If you want to give it a little more pep i would get a exhaust K@n airfilter and a cam you you will see a noticable difference. If you are needing a cam i have a couple from web cam that i used to use in my motors if your interested let me know.

danw82
09-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm taking it to a guy that works on quads on the side within a couple of weeks. let me know how much for the cam. Do you have any other parts? I could use a new rear plastic for it. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the piston and compression yet. The guy said just wait till he tears it apart and we'll go from there.

Is $300 cheap for him to bore the motor and put a wiseco race piston kit in there? And that's for parts/labor. I know he's good at it, he has really good feedback from guys around the area and local shops.

bwamos
09-25-2006, 12:26 PM
If he's doing the labor to pull the motor apart, ect.. that's a very reasonable price.

If you end up having major motor issues (wich I doubt you'll have) the easiest motor swap is an ATC 350x motor.

250X_project
09-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Okay Dan, 250X and 300EX engines are completely the same exept the 300 has a longer storke (crank and rod assembly is diff) and the EX has electric start being a newer quad.

Cheap engine mods--pipe(DG), K&N filter, Wiseco, white brothers cam and jet kit or 400 carb

danw82
09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys I'll talk to the mechanic tomorrow when I drop it off and see what I can do. He has a bunch of parts so maybe I can get somethign together.