PDA

View Full Version : Is my clutch slipping?

whiteflash
09-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Everytime i get into the higher rpm's in each gear it seems to rev higher than the wheels are going. I'm pretty sure its slipping but does this seem like a syptom of a slipping clutch? what would i need to get to fix it, like plates, springs, basket? also, the clutch line seems to be wearing out. i have to it tighten the lock nut near the lever all the time. could a worn out clutch line make my rpms jump? thanks

rooster300ex
09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
I assume you are talking about the clutch cable being wore out not the brake line. the brakes are hydr. If you cable is adjusted properly with no slack/play when you pull the clutch lever then its not the cable. Most people can get away with just replacing the springs,fibers and steel plates. Also get a right side case cover gasket if ya do it yourself its pretty easy to put fibers etc. in.

JOEX
09-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Sounds like the clutch could be slipping...

What kind of oil are you using? Changed it recently?

What lock nut are you tightening near which brake lever?

An '04 with these kind of problems seems a little odd...

whiteflash
09-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Sounds like the clutch could be slipping...

What kind of oil are you using? Changed it recently?

What lock nut are you tightening near which brake lever?

An '04 with these kind of problems seems a little odd...

silkolene 10w40, hasn't been changed in a while, probably due for a change....

not a brake lever, typo, the clutch lever, the little locknut type thing for tightening the clutch line under the rubber cover on the left side of the handlebar. if that makes any sense....

JOEX
09-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Change the oil and filter, make sure the oil is designed for wet clutch applications and check your clutch adjustment.

Once all that is done you should be good to go unless this has been going on for quite some time.

whiteflash
09-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Change the oil and filter, make sure the oil is designed for wet clutch applications and check your clutch adjustment.

Once all that is done you should be good to go unless this has been going on for quite some time.

no just today i noticed it. but i don't ride it that often. maybe 1-2 per week for about 20 minutes. thanks