PDA

View Full Version : 06 450er problems

chckmgntEX
09-22-2006, 02:43 PM
well ive had it for 2 days now.heres my problems..(maybe this is normal?dont know any1 else with a 450r).

1)when starting i gotta choke it and leave it choked for like 5mins before it will run.
2)when it does run and u punch it it runs like crap,let off alittle bit and it screams.punching it from idle it dies.when you rip on it,it backfires when u shift occasionally.
3)idling it sounds like crap,sounds like its knocking,if u pull the clutch it stills sounds like its knocking,but not as bad.
4)when u rev it,it sounds like something is coming loose,heat sheild sounding kinda.
5)if im ripping or dont shift just perfect,i miss second gear everytime.
6)if u stall it,its a pain to get started again.

ive never had any trouble with my 400ex when i bought it new,maybe all this is just in my head,but im kinda pissed off/dissapointed at the 450r.

:mad:

09-22-2006, 03:01 PM
i'll address these in order that you listed them...all minor complaints really, and easily/ cheaply fixed...costing no more than 10 dollars(if you want to leave it stock)

1. it is a cold blooded honda...but they seem to be a little harder to start...what ever you do, do not use any throttle when starting. also, these bikes are lean form the factory. turn up your idle just a hair.

2. get a 42 leak jet, this is quirk of the fcr carb that is on it...the leak jet is the 10 dollar cost to you. it is located on the bottom of the carb in the float bowl. go here sudco, then click carb diagrams, then the fcr mx link (http://www.sudco.com/). the jet you are changing out will be in part 49.

3. this sound is also the fcr carb...it souds almost like a high pitched ping. they are noisy, but you get used to it...nothign to worry about

4. see explanation for 3

5. just slightly different spacing of the gears than what you are used to...you'll adapt...

6. this is due to a weak starter motor/bad starter gearing...see number one...and i hear that if you reach down and use the choke it fires right up...but i have not had a chance to try that

a little more explanation on the not using throttle when starting. this causes the starter clutch outer to kick back and wear prematurely...hond just fixed mine for free becasue they didn't know this when i bought the bike and the dealers weren't aware either. by the time i found out, the damage was done. like i said, no cost top me, but i added up the part numbers on the list of replaced parts from my receipt and it came to $386...i didn'teven figure in labor!!!

chckmgntEX
09-22-2006, 03:10 PM
well that helps alot.thanks for takin the time to answer all of that.the motor sounds like its knocking though,the ping i can deal with,but it just sounds like the motor is gonna blow up sitting there.id consider myself pretty mechaniclly inclined,and it just doesnt sound good.

chazekxt
09-22-2006, 06:57 PM
hey my buddy just picked up a 06 450r is doing the same as yours less than 24 hours old and is knocking bad in top end so he took it back.

Lonestar_R
09-22-2006, 08:13 PM
the knocking is a typical 450 Honda sound...I thought the same thing when I got mine...it sounds like the thing will detonate at any second.....you'll get use to it....the CRF Motors are the same way......

Definately change your leak jet and you will be more than happy with the throttle response....they have a horrible dead spot when you jam the throttle...the leak jet will take care of your problem....Don't waste 80 bucks on a Quickshot....it doesn't solve the problem in these carbs......the stock leak jet is a #70....I have a #42 in mine and it was actually recommended to me to use a #35.....but I'm pretty happy with it right now....I just don't have the time to play with it either

lumi
09-22-2006, 09:48 PM
the knock you hear is from the 12:1 low skirt piston, its piston knock. it is very normal especially in these motors. just a heads up try to run 93 but 91 octane will do, octane under that will cause excessive piston knock and detonation can occur taking your whole motor out. also with the fcr carbs there will be a ting sound, thats normal aswell, thats why u only hear it when you give gas. you shoudl rev the motor up a little until punching it, usually a stock 06 450r doesnt like a punch off idle but the upgrade leak jet can help. also for a e-start, dont overheat it, do not hold the starter button for more than 5 seconds at a time and do not give gas while trying to start it. also dont leave the choke on for 5 minutes, try to leave it for a little pass 15 second depending on weather than takr off it should idle if not, raise the idle as described above. if it continues to have bacfireing trouble and starting problems bring it to the dealer for a jetting check. good luck

-lumi

TMSmx47
09-22-2006, 10:28 PM
If your that upset with your 06, I'll trade ya my 04 kicker! Brand new motor starts first kick everytime! No noises and you'll be very pleased! Im always up for a chalenge, so i'll tame that 06;) :D

What the *ell, I had to ask!..lol.. But I am lookin for a 06 anyone!!

chckmgntEX
09-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by TMSmx47
If your that upset with your 06, I'll trade ya my 04 kicker!

haha im not that mad about it,however i do have a 400ex id trade ya:D

ill pick up the jets and try it out,only alittle bit of time left to ride before fishing/hunting/and winter take over here.

it was on reserve when i picked it up,i dumped the last bit of 93 octane i had in it,so it might still have crappy gas floatin around too.

4ABURN
09-23-2006, 08:09 AM
All good advise from above. Also if you are going to drive it in the winter I would recommend bump up the pilot to a 45 and the main Alittle these quads are lean from factory. That knoking sound is normal. My CRF was worse than my TRX never a problem.

I love my 06 no troubles.:D