PDA

View Full Version : valve clearance 440 10.5-1 kit

pual0101
09-22-2006, 08:21 AM
see subject, any ideas?

400exrider707
09-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Too much clearance actually. For whatever reason honda decided to put the piston below the top of the cylinder at TDC. Wiseco pistons for the 400 are not even correct compression ratios because they are technically made for the xr400. I ran an 11:1 with a thin cometic head gasket and had no problems. Other people even leave the base gasket completely off.

Def-e-nition
09-23-2006, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Too much clearance actually. For whatever reason honda decided to put the piston below the top of the cylinder at TDC. Wiseco pistons for the 400 are not even correct compression ratios because they are technically made for the xr400. I ran an 11:1 with a thin cometic head gasket and had no problems. Other people even leave the base gasket completely off.

707 , i think im confusing the head gasket with the base gasket .

So leaving the base gasket out increases compression ? hOw does one seal off the two metal faces?

Also - You say Wiseco kits are actually made for the 400 Xr - so do the pistons differ ? do you mean compression is different ?

Sorry for al the questions , but its an interesting post .

cals400ex
09-23-2006, 07:08 PM
use hondabond sealant between the bottom of the cylinder and the case to seal it up. go light on it though. i actually go really light. the XR and the TRX use the same pistons. however, the xr uses thinner gaskets from the factory. so a piston rated at 11:1 won't be a true 11:1 on the trx unless you use thin gaskets. now, thats given that the ratio the company puts on it is right.

to the original post, i have no idea what you are asking? are you wanting the valve clearance for that build?

Def-e-nition
09-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the info . interesting .

pual0101
09-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
use hondabond sealant between the bottom of the cylinder and the case to seal it up. go light on it though. i actually go really light. the XR and the TRX use the same pistons. however, the xr uses thinner gaskets from the factory. so a piston rated at 11:1 won't be a true 11:1 on the trx unless you use thin gaskets. now, thats given that the ratio the company puts on it is right.

to the original post, i have no idea what you are asking? are you wanting the valve clearance for that build?

no they just need adjusted and i dont know what shim to use for setting them, bought the bike used and i think they are way off

Chino886
09-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by pual0101
no they just need adjusted and i dont know what shim to use for setting them, bought the bike used and i think they are way off

400EX do not have shims, you adjust the rocker arms.

See manual for help!

Take the valve adjustment caps off and you should be able to fit feeler gauges between the rocker arms contact points and the valves!

We can't tell you what to set the clearance at cause we have no idea what cam you are running!

cals400ex
09-28-2006, 11:00 PM
yeah get a service manual for sure. for a stock cam the clearance is .004 for the intakes and .005" for the exhaust valves.