PDA

View Full Version : 1985 SX250 3 wheeler. NO SPARK?

HondaRacing23
09-22-2006, 07:29 AM
I am trying to fix a 1985 SX250 3wheeler for a guy that I know. It isnt getting any spark to the plug. I had the coil tested at work and it tested fine. What else can it be? The stator? The flywheel? Im not sure if it has brushes or not havnt takin it apart to look. If anyone could help me out id appriate it. I used to working on new bikes not something almost as old as I am haha. Thanks a lot.:confused:

bwamos
09-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Oxidized 12v connection in your wiring harness somewhere going to your CDI. It will kill your voltage (think water pressure).

HondaRacing23
09-22-2006, 11:36 AM
So I should just uncoat all the wires and check them? I checked continuity pretty much everywhere and it seems to be fine. no spplit wires or antyhing. i took the side case off(flywheel side) and there is something on the case that needs to be un bolted.Kinda looks like brushes to me. I can take a pic of it and post it if that helps. Need all the help i can get im not used to working on these old bikes especialy a deadly wheeler haha. give me something newer and i can do it all. thanks for the help.:confused:

bwamos
09-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing23
So I should just uncoat all the wires and check them?

No, no, no, no.... :) Not that extreme. :) Just pull the wiring harness connectors apart and check for corrosion/oxidation. Oxidation on the surface of the wires wont hurt anything, it's the oxidtation between the connector surfaces that get you.

Being a batteryless system it makes it a little harder (dont have a consistent 12v supply to just ckeck the voltage at the CDI.

I'm thinking a connector somewhere between the stator and the ignition module has some oxidation (water + electricity = oxidation)

HondaRacing23
09-22-2006, 01:29 PM
This three wheeler has a battery....You can also kick start it.. Dont know if that makes a difference