PDA

View Full Version : 22"S in rear ?

Falstaff
09-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Iam thinking of putting 22" maxxis razors on my 05 Ex.
I ride in the mountains roads and trails.
If I do this will I need to lower the gears? More than Likley if so what are you running.
Also what size of rims did you use and who makes a good rim steel or aluminum. Will I need to increase the front tire size?
If there is anything else I need to think about let me know.

400eXr1d3rZ
09-21-2006, 07:39 PM
22 inch will raise the top speed, not too noticable though. 20 inch tires would be fine, unless you want huge bulky tires. You might not have to lower the gearing, but if you hill climb and ride tight tight trails, it's a good idea to have lots of torque, since the 05's already have a 14t front sprocket, get a 13t. I have 9x9 wheels, stock for now. Burgard beadlocks or HiPers soon to come, HiPers are very very strong, mostly used for MX, but are a bit pricey, ITP Baja's are also good wheels. You don't NEED to change front tire size, and i don't think they even make 23 or 24 inch front tires, MX XC type tires atleast.

ikes05400ex
09-21-2006, 08:23 PM
i have a 05 that i run in the woods.i have 22' holeshots in the rear and 23' holeshots in the front .its the best thing ive done to the quad i did lower the front sprocket 1 tooth.you dont have to run 23 in the front but i love the extra height for rocks and stumps.for riding in the woods i wont go back to 20'

ilpadrino113
09-22-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm runnin 22's in the rear and dropped to a 14 tooth sprocket in the front and it feels fine. It definitely felt sluggish before i dropped to the 14 tooth

krt400ex
09-22-2006, 04:02 PM
ya, i put tires off a 300ex on mine on day 'cause i didn't have the razrs yet. the front and rears were 22s and the thing handled like crap. get bigger front tires to compensate. definatly drop a tooth off the front sprocket. my bike couldn't pull the taller gaering very well. and i wouldn't recommend itp rims. i have seen too many pics of thsoe rims twisted into knots. i would get the hipers or douglas