PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex Valves Questions

hondamanex400
09-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Alright. The last time that I rode my 400, it developed a very loud knocking noise that I believe is the valves. When I start it up and let it run, you can see smoke that is being burnt. Since I got the 'ol Honda back in '01, it has always had that slight ticking noise, But now it is knocking and hard. THe motor work was re-done Feb-March 2006, and I was in a hurry to put it back together, I forgot about trying to adjust the valves. (piston, pipe, filter and jets were installed at the same time)

My questions are:
1) should I buy aftermarket valves, or just get stock ones? (the mods in my sig. are the only ones that it will be getting for a while)

2) When you buy valves, do the seals come with them? or do they have to be purchased separatly?

3) Since the top motor seal (for the valve "cage") only have about 10 hours on it, do I need to replace it as well?

I have more questions, but cant think them at this point in time (i had a whole hand full of them that I thought of in class, but cant right now.) Any answers will be appriciated.

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

hondamanex400
09-23-2006, 05:20 AM
nobody knows anything about valves?:rolleyes: :confused:

krt400ex
09-23-2006, 05:25 AM
try adjusting them first and see if that helps. when does it smoke?? on start up when the engines cold, seeing a little smoke is normal. it should go away when the motor gets fully warmed up. im not too sure what else it could be, but ur timing chain may be loose as well causing a knocking sound.