PDA

View Full Version : What's the cost of chroming?

awsomeaussies
09-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I know it expensive, but I'm not quite sure how expensive. I want to chrome my side cases. Any ideas on how much that will cost?

CRich[814]
09-21-2006, 04:43 PM
not sure what machine you have but your side cases could possibly be polished. and you can do that yourself for under $10.

awsomeaussies
09-21-2006, 05:01 PM
It's for a 400ex. I've done polishing on just about everything else on my quad and its kinda a pain to keep up on. So seeing if it would be worth it to just get it chromed... and I've been hearing of people getting them nickle plated and looking just as good as chrome:huh Has anybody tried nickle plating?

Scro
09-21-2006, 05:05 PM
I had my upper a-arms chromed for $160, and I was told it was pretty cheap. I also asked about nickel plating, but it wasn't any cheaper.

awsomeaussies
09-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Just found this copy chrome that is supposed to be toucher than nickle and look just as good as chrome. Has anybody ever heard of it:confused: It sounds good, but I'm not sure.
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/copychrome.htm

BigFish
09-21-2006, 06:00 PM
I've worked at a chrome shop for four years. Nickle plating is the step right before chrome. It has a goldish tint to it. In the plating process, chome only takes a couple of minutes to do. Really no more work involved to go to chrome. You rinse the part coming out of the nickel take, put it in the chrome tank, send some electricity through it, and its chrome. I personally have never had a part in the chrome tank for more than 10 sec. Most places won't hook u hook on the price if u want nickel. Personally I think chrome looks better. But to each his own. FMF pipes are nickel, so if u like that color, there u go....

For the price, I would say u would be looking at $150-$200 now days due to all the material prices that have become inflated.

FYI my chrome side covers on the 400 have held up better than when they were p/ced

BigFish
09-21-2006, 06:03 PM
One bad thing about 400s is that on the clutch cover, it's almost impossible to get the chrome to throw down in between the clutch basket and oil filter (it'll be nickel between there)

www.chromeeast.com

Thats the shop that bought my co. out last year. They will hook u up

awsomeaussies
09-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks for all the info Big Fish... I was actually thinking the price would be a bit more, so that sounds pretty good to me. Now say if I wanted to through a couple small parts in there with it, like motor mounts... would that be to much more? I'm diffenitly gonna checkout that site right now.

awsomeaussies
09-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Oh forgot to say, nice bike by the way;)

Pappy
09-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the link! Now I know where to send people that ask if i know anywhere that does it:D

awsomeaussies
09-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Just emailed them:macho

BigFish
09-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Usually, lil stuff is $10-20 a piece. I know levers are $10 a piece, $20 for the steel brake pedal. Chrome will nickel and dime you to death.

When you email chrome east, send it to Kevin Parks, just tell him Jason Fisher sent you, that might help you out a lil bit.

I believe Chrome East is one of the best chrome shops on the east coast. They're just starting up, but they have done it right. There are millions invested in this particular shop.

There aren't too many quads w/ any chrome around here. I started messing w/ quads (chroming them) about two years ago.

This is my quad's twin, we redid the a arms, swingarm, chromed the cfm airbox and oil tank, hinson side cover and alot of odd and ends...

BigFish
09-21-2006, 08:10 PM
The hinson quick change

P.S. This stuck was chromed two years ago and still look great, plus we ride pretty hard...

BigFish
09-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Aluminum airboxes look pretty trick chromed...

BigFish
09-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Here's prolly the nastiest thing I've done. We p/ced the cases anodized blue, and chromed everything else, including the cylinder...

That was a year ago, and the cylinder never turned and never had any problems. Too bad the pics aren't too good. This was when we just put it together...It's dirty and the pics don't do it justice...

BigFish
09-21-2006, 08:19 PM
another dark one of the R, I really need to get some more pics of this quad. It's ungodly, all chrome, anodized blue p/c, blue lakers, hiper beadlocks...Its crazy

BigFish
09-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Sorry bout all the pics, but just wanted to show u what can be done.

awsomeaussies
09-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Oh no that's freaken awesome! Damn your giving me more ideas:D How much you think it would be to chrome the airbox? I got an aluminum one to and hate polishing that sucker. But I'm sure it's alot, so maybe when I do my next pc'ing job I'll have them do that to! I'll diffenitly get my break pedal done.. expessially if it's only 20 bucks. Hmm... I gotta think of some other stuff now. lol

awsomeaussies
09-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Here's my quad if you have any ideas:D
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/awsomeaussies206/400ex2-1.jpg
I'm thinking next time I pc it... I'm gonna get the frame done in black with some nice black graphics, but keep the white plastics, cause I really like the black and white theme now. And chrome always looks best next to black imo. I really want to strip it all down this winter, but I just finished it last winter. lol So maybe next year. There's a place near me that will pc your frame and just about everything else you want to bring in with it for $150 as long as you prep it first.

awsomeaussies
09-22-2006, 10:22 AM
They emailed back saying I'd have to take everything in before they give me a price quote on chroming:( I told them I couldnt because I'm not local... So they said it's best to find someone near me:ermm: Dang, oh well I'll start searching again.

BigFish
09-22-2006, 01:24 PM
I hate to hear that, thats pretty ****ty too....I'll give them a call monday to see what I can get out of them...PM me a list of what u want chromed and your shipping adress and I WILL get u a price. I don't understand how they are trying to get their name out and turnining away business like they just did w/ u. That really pisses me off. I'll work on the situation monday.

Oh yea, u have one hell of a 400. One of the nastiest I've seen. Anything can be done and will look great. That blue w/ chrome will look amazing. Plus I think a lil black thrown into the mix looks really good too...

awsomeaussies
09-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
I hate to hear that, thats pretty ****ty too....I'll give them a call monday to see what I can get out of them...PM me a list of what u want chromed and your shipping adress and I WILL get u a price. I don't understand how they are trying to get their name out and turnining away business like they just did w/ u. That really pisses me off. I'll work on the situation monday.

Oh yea, u have one hell of a 400. One of the nastiest I've seen. Anything can be done and will look great. That blue w/ chrome will look amazing. Plus I think a lil black thrown into the mix looks really good too...

If you don't mind that would be awesome! There website said to send in pictures with all the information, so that's what I did and then they came back and said they can't take quotes on "chroming" unless they see it personally. I just emailed there sales department because they didn't have any names listed, so maybe it woulda helped if I emailed that Kevin.
But I'd want both of my sides cases done, the 2 motor mounts, the brake pedal and that's all I can think of right now.

jrb400ex
09-23-2006, 11:56 AM
i was wondering if anyone knew a place in new jersey and i was wondering how much it would be to chrome a banshee motor. the cylinder and case covers

dfesmire
11-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Thanks for the link! Now I know where to send people that ask if i know anywhere that does it:D

Take a look @ what we @ 3-D Custom Chrome can do for you. Let us know if you have any chroming requirements. Thanks, Dennis @ 3-D Custom Chrome (dfesmire@aeneas.net) (731-968-5662)

Kaleigh
11-29-2006, 02:58 PM
would it be bad to chrome the head on a 400ex since its aircooled...

dfesmire
11-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
would it be bad to chrome the head on a 400ex since its aircooled...
Don't think I would suggest doing the head or cylinder. But it can be done if you like. We do all types of Harley engine components and they are air cooled.

awsomeaussies
11-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Could you pm me a price on getting both of my side cases done on a 400ex? Plus prices on a brake pedal, and 2 motor mounts!

Thanks!