PDA

View Full Version : Red hot header!!!

GIXXER1KR
09-21-2006, 12:44 AM
I never noticed it until tonight(at Night).Its probably been doing it a while but anyone else ever notice this.My header gets red near the block about a good 4-6 inches during slow trail riding.Like putting in 2nd.Is this normal or am i a little too lean!!!It is getting colder here.I have the HRC kit and a K&N filter with the outerwear.I am running what ever the hrc kit came with for jets!!!Any ideas.What needle clip should i be at on the needle and how many turns out on the pilot!!!!Where is the air fuel screw(pilot) on the fcr carb.This is my first fcr carb.I ran Keihin on my 2 stroke.Any ideas of what i should try.I think i have a 168 main not positive...(HRC KIT) and the dealer installed it.Or should it be fine!!!Seems to run excellent!!!:confused:

Nick110
09-21-2006, 04:15 AM
First of all the Pilot jet and Air fuel screw are two different things. So dont turn the pilot out because its not supposed to.

To answer your question, I dont think your too lean, if you are you can adjust it with the air fuel screw. It depends on how think the header is, my yoshie on my 400ex used to do the same thing.

firefighterjosh
09-21-2006, 04:30 AM
My 400 will run red for about 4inches if I am on the trail, and its running a little rich. I am sure your fine.

d3ktrix
09-21-2006, 09:54 AM
After WOT run down a dirt road by me my header glows for about 12"
Even when my MJ was so rich that I couldn't get past 1/2 throttle w/o hitting a fake rev limiter the header turned red.
The sparks header seems to be super thin tho.
My stock header also glowed.

All my friends HMF headers don't glow, but those are super thick.

09-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Don't worry it's normal.

GIXXER1KR
09-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah thats what i figured.I just never noticed it until some night riding!!!Thanks guys for the reassurances!!!!

Elduner
09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
Don't worry it's normal.

I will second that.. My bike does the same thing.

RedRaider
09-22-2006, 04:27 PM
alot of people call the air/fuel screw a pilot screw. In alot of manuals it's even reffered as a pilot screw. But i always called it an air/fuel screw.

trx400exxracer
09-22-2006, 04:43 PM
yeah i think it is normal my brother Yoshi glows to

Modded R
09-26-2006, 10:08 AM
i have an 04 and 06. the 06 has the hrc kit and k&n. it would glow clear back to the silencer and wouldn't start for crap. we bumped the main up to 185, the pilot to 48, and set the fuel/air mixture up but not sure how many turns. it runs alot better now but it still glows a good 4 inches when putting around. my 04 does the same thing around 2-3 inches.

bshack
09-27-2006, 04:45 AM
I was warming my STOCK 05' up last night for an oil change and I sat there to see if my header glows. Yes, it does glow. even sitting at idle (in my garage at night with the lights turned off).

ryann mx68
09-27-2006, 05:46 AM
gixxer, get 1 of these. it works great. adjust on the fly

d3ktrix
09-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by ryann mx68
gixxer, get 1 of these. it works great. adjust on the fly

Where can you buy those?

chad502ex
09-27-2006, 06:43 AM
sorry guys but i've said it plenty of times before and i have dyno'd plenty of times using A/Fr sampling.... the stock header glows even off the showroom floor cause HONDA sets up the A/F a bit too lean with low end snap. we've measured the A/Fr and a glowing header is from excessive temperatures due to lean conditions... I do not believe the designed intent was to manufacture headers glowing off the showroom floor, but nevertheless, that is what most are experiencing.. Do you really think that HONDA would think it is ok to sell a quad with a glowing red header with the additional liabilities of getting burned sitting in the driveway? I mean think another way, ever though of the legalities involved with manufacturing a vehicle that when idling could ignite leaves or start forest fires, not to mention the consumers whom scolded their legs flesh with stove-top red headers? not one of my engines dyno tuned has glowing red headers... the cure, as pictured above, is an adjustment to the screw and a fatter pilot...

not trying to be a deek just letting ya'll know that i've always said the same thing- for what its worth....

hope this helps.

chad

ryann mx68
09-27-2006, 02:12 PM
try site sponsors, or tucker rocky, parts unlimited, motosport outlet, bto sports, just about everyone carries 1

dtmichau
09-27-2006, 02:57 PM
A glowing header and a non glowing header both have severe consequences when touching skin. I saw this on a biweekly (at least) basis when I worked as a PCT in and ER. No offense to you chad, you certainly know your stuff. But, there is no more liability as far as the "burn" matters go when hot glowing and hot non glowing headers are involved. Both can and will cause up to third degree full thickness burns if the oppurtunity allows the burn to get that bad.

Personally, my header doesnt glow and I just received a nasty partial thickness 2nd degree burn when i spilled the other day, and my leg wasnt on there but a couple seconds before I could move.

sandmanblue
09-27-2006, 03:50 PM
You could put one of those stickers on it that says "Caution - Hot Surface"... :D

d3ktrix
09-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
You could put one of those stickers on it that says "Caution - Hot Surface"... :D

It would burn right off in a few min and smell like crap :P

chad502ex
09-28-2006, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by dtmichau
A glowing header and a non glowing header both have severe consequences when touching skin. I saw this on a biweekly (at least) basis when I worked as a PCT in and ER. No offense to you chad, you certainly know your stuff. But, there is no more liability as far as the "burn" matters go when hot glowing and hot non glowing headers are involved. Both can and will cause up to third degree full thickness burns if the oppurtunity allows the burn to get that bad.

Personally, my header doesnt glow and I just received a nasty partial thickness 2nd degree burn when i spilled the other day, and my leg wasnt on there but a couple seconds before I could move.

ouch. that sucks for sure. get better soon.

trayscool
09-28-2006, 08:04 PM
my 06 does the same thing. i cooked some carne asada on it last night