PDA

View Full Version : Lights for 12 hour

jgfarmsracer
09-20-2006, 08:35 PM
wanting to know if anyone ran Trail Techs 8in HID on a honda 450 last few years at the 12hour race and if you had to changed the stator out.

How did it work? (any problems)

400exrider707
09-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Whats the wattage on those babys? Im willing to bet you would have to get a higher output stator for those. The trailtech guy often is floating around these forums. Ask him he would know for sure.

DirtDevilBT
09-21-2006, 12:03 AM
as long as it doesn't go over 100 watts. That would be killer though to have two 50 watt HID's, that would be like 180 watts of light! Just a guess lol.

Check into there mr16's or whatever their called, those are awesome!

D Bergstrom
09-21-2006, 08:09 AM
I have a dual 8" HID light setup from Baja Designs. I believe the lights are 35 watts each. No stator mods are required. (Actually, I do not think you can rewind the stator on a 450R.) I only had to add a small battery pack because Baja Designs was not sure if the quad put out enough power at idle, so they figured better safe then sorry. (They just did not want the lights to go out when you chop the throttle to make a corner.) If you have a 35 watt HID bulb, you must have 35 watts of power. Any less, and the light does not dim, it just goes out. If you use dual 50 watt HID's, I am not sure if a 450R could power them at low rpm's. The dual 35 watt lights are PLENTY bright enough.

Doug

Colby@C&DRacing
09-21-2006, 08:59 AM
When I got my cyclops lights. The guy at cyclops told me he mearsured the stock stator at over 200 watts. ??

bradley300
09-21-2006, 09:09 AM
i have the nite rider hellfire HID system on my blaster. 80x output, and only a 20w draw. havent hada chance to use them yet, but i'm sure they will be a million ties better than our set up last year of two stock lights

450R_lover
09-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Im not saying you should do this for the 12 hour race or anything but... i cleaned up my bars and took the light switch/kill switch off the bars. I bought a rocker switch from wal mart and wired up my stock lights so that the high/low beam stays on together. then wired up the rocker switch to it. it puts out good light. just a suggetstion to those that clean up their bars and want their lights.

hoopd450
09-21-2006, 08:22 PM
he already has the 8in trail tech light from his yamaha so i doubt he wants to use anything else. jason you can run that light on the stock honda stator without any problems. it doesn't pull anymore juice than the stock light. thats what is so cool about it. are you racing your bike in the 12 hour this year? who you riding with? colby, are you racing? if someone needs another guy i would do it. i should be in pretty good shape by then.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-22-2006, 08:43 AM
I was asked to be on three different teams, I don't think I am going to race though farmer needs someone to keep his stuff running. I worked for three teams last year. Besides Jason wrote me a blank check the other day for my services at the 12 hr. Boy it is nice have customers like gudde:)

SwainRacing
09-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I ran their 8" HID and 2 mr16s last year at teh 6 hour race at Rausch Creek. Didnt have to do any thing to the TRX, but just add the lights and the little battery they offer.
These things work GREAT! it is like riding in Day Light!

exrider44
09-22-2006, 02:27 PM
dude that looks sick with those lights! I bet that would rule in the dunes

GIXXER1KR
09-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Are there any better bulbs for the stock light.I do night trailing so its not that bad just a little brighter would be sweet!!!What bulbs are in the stocker???

exrider44
09-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Ive heard the replacement bulbs from PIAA are decent. Im sure someone on here has them and can tell you more.

jgfarmsracer
09-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
I was asked to be on three different teams, I don't think I am going to race though farmer needs someone to keep his stuff running. I worked for three teams last year. Besides Jason wrote me a blank check the other day for my services at the 12 hr. Boy it is nice have customers like gudde:)

ya thanks, so that means you had better be there this year too!

jgfarmsracer
09-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by SwainRacing
I ran their 8" HID and 2 mr16s last year at teh 6 hour race at Rausch Creek. Didnt have to do any thing to the TRX, but just add the lights and the little battery they offer.
These things work GREAT! it is like riding in Day Light!

cool thanks i called trail tech today but they didn't say anything about a battery, i'll have to get back to them

morfy
09-23-2006, 05:46 AM
I have the bottom of the line techs and they are good. Man I would love to run the big ones on waynoka... Tooo much money for this kid....

D Bergstrom
09-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by jgfarmsracer
cool thanks i called trail tech today but they didn't say anything about a battery, i'll have to get back to them

If you are running ONLY the single 8" HID, you should not need a battery. I had a single HID before the dual, and it worked great without a battery. Swainracing needed the battery because he is running the 8" and the dual MR16's, more draw on the stator, so a battery is needed.

Doug

SwainRacing
09-23-2006, 11:36 AM
I didnt need the battery from waht Trail Tech told me, I just didnt want all the lights to shut off if the quad stalled out on the track. I would recomend the battery and it was only like another $30 to add it I think.

DirtDevilBT
09-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Yep, got the PIAA replacement bulbs and had them for some time. Great upgrade for stock lighting, highly recommend, output is much better and the complements are awesome. PM for any other info, I have a review on the .ORG but lost the pictrues.