PDA

View Full Version : valve tapping loud please help!

Dardy
09-01-2002, 04:20 PM
I have a 2002 400ex I just adjusted the valves .004 on the intake side and .005 on the exhaust side. When I started it up there is a loud ticking noise coming from the right exhaust valve so I took it back apart and checked the adjustments again still the same problem. Could someone please help me if they know what the problem is. THANKS

rookiex
09-01-2002, 04:32 PM
Man So many of my friends have that at the track.....that same ticking and they got gobs of money into there bikes and it still dose it.....I dunno there is about 50 of us who got on that topic and we just dicided that it just sounds that way....nothing you can do....unless its super super loud......then I dont think you have a problem just keep listening to it...and if it gets louder...get it checked on

Dardy
09-01-2002, 04:36 PM
This tapping is just coming from the right exaust valve and is alot louder than normal the bike also will not stay started.

Leo
09-01-2002, 07:18 PM
which way are you spinning the motor over?

if you spin the crank clockwise (as your looking at it) even a bit it will activate the decompression release, and the R side exhaust clearance will be way to loose..

make sure to spin it over counterclockwise and re-check the R side exhaust vavle clearance..

Leo

Dardy
09-01-2002, 07:52 PM
If I am looking at it I am spinning it counter clockwise untill all valves had play in them then I set the clearance and locked the nut at 18 foot pounds. then rechecked it and just that one valve still taps loud. Are you saying that I should turn the crank another complete ratation and check it again?

RideRed400EX
09-01-2002, 08:03 PM
The valves are definately making the noise. Sometimes the engine will die with a loud clink even.

There shouldn't be any problems, it's just the way the engine was built

Dardy
09-01-2002, 08:09 PM
Its making the loud clink while it is running and it is 20 times louder then before I adjusted the valves after all its just that one valve. It cant be normal

MIKE400EX
09-01-2002, 08:37 PM
Take the spark plug out when you adjust the valves, and put a rag over the hole. Maybe that little bit of compression is turning the motor clockwise a little, it doesn't take much.

Dardy
09-01-2002, 08:58 PM
I did everything the manual said for me too do even romove the spark plug. You dont think anything could be broken do you?

MIKE400EX
09-01-2002, 09:35 PM
When you adjusted the valves did you have to make any big adjustment changes?

Leo
09-01-2002, 09:43 PM
if you try to adjust the valves with the decompressor activated, you wind up with about 10x's more clearance than you need on the right side exhaust valve..

the purpose of the decompressor is to release the compression if the motor tries to kick back (which would be a bad thing if you were kick starting it, like the XR).. basically it just holds the R side exhahust valve open..

I'd go through the procedure again, you'll know your in the right spot to adjust the valves when the T is lined up in the window (not the F mark, easily confused) and the intake and L side exhaust valves are loose, and the R side exhaust valve is really loose :D

If it makes you feel any better I did the exact same thing the first time I adjusted my valves ;)

Leo

Dardy
09-01-2002, 09:57 PM
Im sure you wish you could reach through here and smack me but I dont need to spin the crank clockwise to activate the decompression release do I?

Mxbubs
09-01-2002, 10:53 PM
Its very simple, set your piston using the marks on the flywheel at Top Dead Center turning counter-clockwise. Set your clearances. If you hear a tapping that you know shouldnt be there, there is a 100% chance that somehting is wrong. Make sure you cam sprocket bolts are tight and not hitting your cam seat as the cam spins. Check everything, you could have a bent valve, and yes a bent valve can still offer a good enough seal for the motor to run, do I think a bent valve will make a tapping noise? Never heard of it, the only thing that it MIGHT do, and I do stress MIGHT, but is possible, it could be bent and SLIGHTLY hitting your piston every rotation, I mean slightly or else it wouldnt run. Check everything, if it sounds funny, something is wrong. The 400exs do have a loud valve tap to begin with, but you know what that sounds like. Also, when you wear your rocker arms, you will get a tapping sound. Did you get a bigger cam with stock rockers? If so, be sure to check that real good.....Do some looking, but dont ride it til you figure it out, trust me, its cheaper to find first.

Dardy
09-02-2002, 12:06 PM
The bike is completly stock but a k&n filter with jet upgrade after the break in period I checked the valve clearance and it was only a little off so I readjusted them. When I put it back together that one valve just got louder. I checked the adjustment like 3 more times still no change. I guess I will just take it to the honda shop and have them do it I do appreciate everyones help though.

TravEX
09-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Dardy
If I am looking at it I am spinning it counter clockwise untill all valves had play in them then I set the clearance and locked the nut at 18 foot pounds.

remember to line the notch up with the "T" like leo said, instead of just looking for play,,,