PDA

View Full Version : offset rims, and brakes

jb400exxx
09-01-2002, 03:32 PM
i want to get 2 inch offset rims in the front for my 400ex, but i'm concerned about how it makes the brakes stick out so far out of the rim. i don't have enough money for extended A-arms, and shocks. so i was just wondering if anybody who runs 2 inch offset rims or wheel spacers up front have ever had any problems with thier brakes getting hit by things in the trails and breaking or should i go ahead and get the 2 inch offset. thanx, any help would be greatly appreciated.

jb400exxx
09-01-2002, 07:34 PM
also what offset makes it 2 inches wider on each side?
4:1, 3:2 ???

jb400exxx
09-01-2002, 07:43 PM
hey, i know some of you must have offset rims, or the stocks switched around or wheel spacers!!

Rastus
09-01-2002, 09:14 PM
I dont have a 400 , but I got a bike with front stock wheels flipped.

As far as hitting the brakes, I've never hit mine, and it has been this way for about a year and a half.

If you want a cheap mod , I'd do this, but be warned, most likely if you hit something going pretty good, your gonna mess something up, like a tie-rod. I hit a log laying out in the trail in 3 rd gear and bent one of my tie-rods all to crap. They're only like 9 bucks though.

GoodLuck

TEEGUNN
09-01-2002, 10:26 PM
I agree.... for a cheap solution, just flip the rims. I hit a jump wrong with one wheel and bent a tie rod once. No big deal, they are cheap and fairly easy to replace. I always have an extra one with me anyway. Your steering will be a little more skittish though. It's worth it IMO because the quad feels much more stable. You may want to get the valve stem block off's, though. Also, checking/changing air pressure is harder.

Dune Surfer
09-01-2002, 10:40 PM
I have Douglas 160's with a two inch offset and mowhawks for the sand and it felt much more stable in the dunes> I recomend them for the sand. I hope this helps