PDA

View Full Version : GT Thunder 400 ex mods 450 fronts,400 rear and link

parts eeter
09-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I am gonna send in my 450 r fronts and have them cut down,revalved,resprung and have the stock rear 400 ex shock sprung valved and linked with the GT link.Has anybody tried this setup.Feedback will be great.:D

zrpilot
09-20-2006, 02:35 PM
They are very good. You won't be disappointed! Look for my posts on these threads!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108199&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=255343&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

parts eeter
09-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I appreciate the feedback as i have been debating on those mods for some time.I really just need it to be a plush woods machine and not some kind of moto x wannabe.If I wanted to race mx I wouldnt do it on a quad.Your info is appreciated.I trust Honda shox valved and sprung to my weight much more than some cheapo knockoff steel bodied works shox anyday and for the price I cant go wrong.I Installed a Denton Damper and a Burgard plus 1 1/8 stem ant vibe to aid in riding comfort as my hand and wrist is cracked.the shox need done really bad as I can tell they are way to stiff for what I need them to do and the ex short a arms makes them even more harsh than they are on the 450r.One more question for you.How much difference did you notice on the rear linkage and shock service compared to stocker.Mine bucks on sharp ledge stuff really bad.I would like to get rid of that also.I also wonder if plus 2 a arms would make the 450r fronts work well enough to pass on the mods.I wish I could ride your quad and compare side by side.Thanks

oldskoolex400
09-21-2006, 07:14 PM
just wondering for you to be saying this have you even ridden on a front works suspension i would suggest if not that you need to chill out cutting brands down you know nothing about

zrpilot
09-21-2006, 07:27 PM
The 450R shocks re-done by Gt Thunder are very good. I've spoken with Laz at GT and in his opinion they are better built then the works.

I have the same issue, last summer I broke a bunch of bones in my right side (clavicle, skapula, 4 ribs and punctured a lung), so I want my quad to minimize my right side weakness. I have Fasst Co. Flexx bars, a Precision Damper, and Hiper wheels.

The Gt Thunder rear link almost eliminated my rear bucking. Especially the second generation link that Laz is selling now. It is much better then the Gen I link!! I know it is a lot of money but in my opinion, getting the rear shock re-done and the link is the best money you can spend on your rear suspension!

If you ever want to come to Minnesota you look me up and we'll go ride!!

Zrpilot

Originally posted by parts eeter
I appreciate the feedback as i have been debating on those mods for some time.I really just need it to be a plush woods machine and not some kind of moto x wannabe.If I wanted to race mx I wouldnt do it on a quad.Your info is appreciated.I trust Honda shox valved and sprung to my weight much more than some cheapo knockoff steel bodied works shox anyday and for the price I cant go wrong.I Installed a Denton Damper and a Burgard plus 1 1/8 stem ant vibe to aid in riding comfort as my hand and wrist is cracked.the shox need done really bad as I can tell they are way to stiff for what I need them to do and the ex short a arms makes them even more harsh than they are on the 450r.One more question for you.How much difference did you notice on the rear linkage and shock service compared to stocker.Mine bucks on sharp ledge stuff really bad.I would like to get rid of that also.I also wonder if plus 2 a arms would make the 450r fronts work well enough to pass on the mods.I wish I could ride your quad and compare side by side.Thanks

parts eeter
09-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Thats exactly the info I was lookin for.Laz prices his stuff really reasonable so cost isnt bad.I mainly was just looking for info on how the ex responded to his mods and you clarified those doubts.Thank You again,I appreciate the time taken to answer me.I think I may still go with the wider a arms also.Just a small bit of info u might like to hear.My buddy just bought an 07 450r and hates it compared to his tricked out ex.So I am stoked that the ex will still perform that well when properly equipped.I luv my ex so I think it will be stickin around.

adinocr7
10-03-2006, 07:10 AM
I just had my rear shock redone for XC riding by Laz at GT Thunder. I'm riding an 06' TRX 450. It was a substantial improvement over the stock setup. Laz did a new spring and valve job. It also included the GT Thunder Linkage.

I had an Elka setup on my old KFX 400 . . . and yes it was sweet. But it cost me $950.00 just for the back shock. I have to say dollar for dollar you can't beat a good company who will do a rebuild on your stockers.

My new 450 is a totally different machine with the rear stock shock rebuild / link. Its much smoother, more predictable and doesn't feel like a bucking Bronco on the rough stuff. I haven't even got into tuning and adjusting the rebound / compression yet. I'm sure it will only get better.