PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 Hours on a tank?

ZSK
09-20-2006, 08:44 AM
I have a harescramble this weekend and I'm tossing around the idea of running my R. Even with +2's and my axle it's still the same width as my YFZ. It boils down to whether I can make it on gas. If I have to stop and fill up then I'll run the YFZ.

I've done about 40 miles on a tank fairly easily but that's trail riding. This race will likely be about 30-35 miles but at race speeds. All the R has is reeds, filter and FMF pipe and silencer. No major motor work.

mrhyde
09-20-2006, 08:58 AM
My similarly built r will easily run 1 - 1.5 hours on a tank at race speeds. By the way, I am thinking of getting a yfz. What are your impressions of its power/handling versus your r. Thanks

ZSK
09-20-2006, 09:01 AM
It feels a lot like my R with more lowend and a harder seat. Go test ride one and use your own impression.

beerock
09-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
It feels a lot like my R with more lowend and a harder seat. Go test ride one and use your own impression.

its no where near an R

if your gonna race a xc get a 4 gal tank then youll have no wirries, or you can fill up after lap two

D Bergstrom
09-20-2006, 11:48 AM
You might be able to make it. My R has a 330 kit, so engine wise I am sure to use more fuel then a stock engine. At race pace (desert racing)I get right at about 15 - 16 miles to the gallon. (I am a intermediate rider and the quad is jetted to rich.) I do not know if I would take a chance, if you are going to race the R, stop for fuel, or get a bigger tank.

Doug

250r4life
09-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
You might be able to make it. My R has a 330 kit, so engine wise I am sure to use more fuel then a stock engine.
Doug

that isnt neccessarily true at all... when i put my 265 and bigger carb on my bike, i did way better on gas then when i had my stock motor... it was ported before, but then i had it ported and polished pretty aggressively, and it sux down gas pretty good now, but... it just depends on your setup...

250r4life
09-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by ZSK

what? youre kidding...

ZSK
09-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
what? youre kidding...

Not kidding at all. I forgot to mention my YFZ has elka's, a longer, stem, pipe and filter and some other goodies.

My R and YFZ feel very similar to me. Powerwise and handling.

ZSK
09-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by beerock

if your gonna race a xc get a 4 gal tank then youll have no wirries, or you can fill up after lap two

If I still have it after a couple weeks it'll get an XC makeover, I'm tossing around the idea of running it this weekend just for giggles.

I'm not here to argue what everyone thinks between a YFZ and a 250R, simply if you think that I can make an Hour and a half on a tank of gas.

Gasman
09-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Take it to Portland Zac! That way we can run out together! :p

When I got my R from Pete, he told me it would run an hour HS at a wicked pace with him on it, possibly hitting reserve near the end. He's A-class, and he was talking about Portland, and you know how open and fast Portland can be under the right conditions. An hour and a half at BC? Man, I dunno. I don't think mine would make it. I can ride mine on the Bull Gap system from South Branch to McKinley and just switch to reserve as I'm coming into McKinley, and that's riding like an ape in 4-5-6 gears all the way. That's 20 miles or less I think, and it takes right around two gallons to top it off at the station. Maybe my "on" tube is a bit long on my petcock, I dunno. I've gone 5-6 miles on reserve already too. I was sweating that.
Mine is a ported stock bore, LRD pipe, 37mm smoothbore carb and an open box. I'm going to try to get out this weekend somewhere on the Gap system and run hard for an hour straight to see where it leaves me on gas. I'll let you know, but that won't help you for this weekend.
The object is to have such a big lead that you have plenty of time to stop for gas! ;)
I'll still run Portland if they go an hour and a half, but I'll have someone waiting in the pits with a one gallon can for a quick splash and go around lap four.

deathman53
09-20-2006, 02:58 PM
I would get a 4 gallon tank, I was able to ride awhile on my trx and atc250r and not hit reserve, when I filled it up, it took about 3 gallons, thats not bad for about 70 miles of fire road riding. The guy with me on a ds650 poured in about as much.

beerock
09-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
that isnt neccessarily true at all... when i put my 265 and bigger carb on my bike, i did way better on gas then when i had my stock motor... it was ported before, but then i had it ported and polished pretty aggressively, and it sux down gas pretty good now, but... it just depends on your setup...

hs right, my 265 would guzzle gas alot faster then my buddies 310-s and 330's and we were pretty much at race speed maybe a hair off.

but if you are dragging the 310 and 330+ will def suck mroe gas down...

number5
09-21-2006, 04:30 PM
On a stock tank filled to the rim I could just finish a harescramble with a little left. Now I have a 4 gallon tank and I dont have to worry about the reserve. I would just turn it on reserve at the begining on a stock tank and not worry about it.