PDA

View Full Version : Natalie's Elkas > Titanium

Jersey450R
09-20-2006, 04:54 AM
look at this, i dont know if anyone else picked up on it but look at his main springs. Thats insane lookin! :)

http://www.atvriders.com/gallery/2006atvamxracing14ballancemotoxpropractice/images/KE2F9829.jpg

iceracer65
09-20-2006, 07:03 AM
those look like ti springs to me, EDT guys have been running them for a while.

xsr_racing28c
09-20-2006, 08:20 AM
yea i'm prety sure all of the pros are going to be switching over soon. I have Ti springs on my Custom Axis Piggybacks on my YFZ and the response of the spring feels different from the steel ones...( I like em alot)..

It looks like Elka went with LT triple rate also on them vs. quad rate.. ~Jay

09-20-2006, 09:17 AM
wow!! all this is great!! pretty soon a set of front shocks alone will cost as much as a new f'n quad!!! so awesome.
can't wait for the day when I have to take out a second mortgage on the house. the bad part is, everyone eats it up.

"yeah, i just bought this wicked sweet titanium set up. Only ran me $4000. Yeah, i had to get them revalved in all. But, that's no biggie. I got them dialed in for another $1200."

where does it end?

sorry, guys. had to vent. feeling a little down. would like aftermarket suspension. but, can't spend that kind of cash. bums me out.

iceracer65
09-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by force

sorry, guys. had to vent. feeling a little down. would like aftermarket suspension. but, can't spend that kind of cash. bums me out.

werd, join the club.

tltcracing
09-20-2006, 11:49 AM
check out the weird ELKA shocks Cain has. this pic was from a wile back and i havent seen the same shock since. look at the bottles, very strange and i think they are Ti also.

fandl450r
09-20-2006, 12:51 PM
From what I heard, not sure how old that picture is, but I do remember last year that some big Elka riders, were actually running Axis internals on their Elkas. :eek:

Titanium shocks are pricy yes, do they ride a little different, sure, are they for everyone? Nope. But if they can sell them, why not? It's smart business.

09-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
From what I heard, not sure how old that picture is, but I do remember last year that some big Elka riders, were actually running Axis internals on their Elkas. :eek:

Titanium shocks are pricy yes, do they ride a little different, sure, are they for everyone? Nope. But if they can sell them, why not? It's smart business.

actually axis's guy was valving their elkas and helping tune them, he is on the of the best in the business when dealing with pro riders

as for ti, yes they are ti springs, the reason for the triple rate over the quad is because staging springs only makes up for flaws in valving, thats y u will c some pros start with 4 springs, then go down to 2, as ballance or jenks has etc did with their axis/elka setups, the closer tuned their valving is, the better they can get it to run with a single spring instead of stages that you dont need, the ideal setup is a 1 spring shock that can do everything flawlessly, which is y GT Thunder runs a 1 spring rear shock with progressive dampening, he has a great setup, etc

fandl450r
09-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
actually axis's guy was valving their elkas and helping tune them, he is on the of the best in the business when dealing with pro riders

I know he did the valving, but they were axis internals. This isn't hearsay.

tltcracing
09-20-2006, 03:06 PM
i dont mean to doubt you at all but where did u here about the axis parts in ELKA's.

fandl450r
09-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by tltcracing
i dont mean to doubt you at all but where did u here about the axis parts in ELKA's.

From a very reliable source. If I told you, I'd have to kill you. ;) Spy's never reveal their sources.

tltcracing
09-20-2006, 03:14 PM
thats what i thought....

Jersey450R
09-21-2006, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton

are you talking about Mike Haddock? The guy that ran for axis for years and is now with ohlins.

09-21-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
are you talking about Mike Haddock? The guy that ran for axis for years and is now with ohlins.

i dont kno his name, he works with bill ballance out at his place, with tracci and a few other guys, i think johnny g goes down there, it could be him, im not sure, all i kno is he is one of the best pro shock tuners around

JH Racing
09-21-2006, 06:54 AM
The shocks on Tavis's Yfz had bladders in them instead of the floating piston in the res. Axis uses a different diameter body the pistons will not fit in Elka the shims Elka uses are 12mm Axis uses a 1/2 shim. Other than the hole size where it goes on the shaft you can get the same size shim for any shock you want (ex 40x.25 is not different other then the hole size for PEP, Axis, Elka, TCS the OD is 40mm and it is .25 thick) The Axis guy they are talking about is Rick he was with Suzuki most of last year and this year.

09-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by JH Racing
The shocks on Tavis's Yfz had bladders in them instead of the floating piston in the res. Axis uses a different diameter body the pistons will not fit in Elka the shims Elka uses are 12mm Axis uses a 1/2 shim. Other than the hole size where it goes on the shaft you can get the same size shim for any shock you want (ex 40x.25 is not different other then the hole size for PEP, Axis, Elka, TCS the OD is 40mm and it is .25 thick) The Axis gut they are talking about is Rick was with Suzuki most of last year and this year.

yep thats the guy

tltcracing
09-21-2006, 02:01 PM
so they are axis type setup but not actual axis parts. i was misslead.

quadracer12
09-21-2006, 02:13 PM
its all misleading. elka pays top guys to run there setup and then goes and put other companies parts into their shocks. i really wish this didn't go on. its false advertising. its hard to tell someone how much axis is better than elka when half of the top pros switched to them this year.

09-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by tltcracing
so they are axis type setup but not actual axis parts. i was misslead.

well internals are internals, same stuff basically, its not axis parts, the parts are general, the setup was by an axis builder