PDA

View Full Version : Lt 500

firefighterjosh
09-20-2006, 02:45 AM
After I get my 400 done how I want it and selll the Shee and get my race 4x4 project done this winter I am going to need another project. I am thinking of building a drag/ride type machine. I was thinking of a LT500. I want to be diffrent. Everyone has shees. I don't see many quadzillas racing so I want to build one. Does anyone know of any sites so I can start learning about them?

I will prally drag it everywere. I might even hit the local drag strip too.

Thanks
Josh

09-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Blowing it up.Were junk new allways will be.i have been around 7 of them all yes all blew up.From stock to a 90 hp monster boom!!!

Tri-valleyracin
09-20-2006, 03:53 PM
they are good quads not as acceleration fast as the shee but faster at top speed. the 87s i belive have problems keeping head gaskets cuse the studs pull out. they are big and heavy comapred to the shee. i have scene one do 95 mph that was stock in a 1/4 mile.

firefighterjosh
09-20-2006, 06:38 PM
I do not know much about them. thats why I am looking into them first. I want to build something not quit normal. I see shees racing everywere. I would like to have a diffrent type of 2-stroke. I have seen big-bore quazillas and OMG they ripped.

slammed97s
09-21-2006, 02:06 AM
the three times my brother in law raced his quadzilla after getting it back from ct racing it was untouchable. even drag banshees had a hard time keeping up. he raced a yz450f in pismo and beat it by almost 5 bike legnths.

flying dutchman
09-21-2006, 02:21 AM
i have a 89 quadzilla set up for mx.
the advantage of the quadzilla over the banshee is that it has a powervalve wich gives it awesome low end almost like a 4 stroke.

i took mine out yesterday on the cornfield wich is about 150foot wide in the back.
when i get reach the end i just put it in 4th gear and start driftin it all the way down the 150foot wide edge and straighten it up on the straight back to the front.
and all that action is done in 4th gear at about 4000rpm:D
thanks to the powervalve.

you also have the advantage of a quadzilla being pretty long :) so it wont tip over as easy and its pretty heavy at the front to your wheels will stay on the grond.

i cant even do a wheely on it because of the power i tryed it on tarmac but i just burned the tires instead of getting it into a wheely

my 2 cents: its the most powerfull quad ive ever ridden and it has a great fun factor.
when set up right it fires first kick (atleast mine does) and it wont let you down

ThrowinRoost89
09-21-2006, 06:17 AM
ive got an 89 zilla, its the most thrilling quad ive ever owned....
back when the motor was stock(besides bolt-on's) i had no problems with it breaking. but once i bought an 87 motor with porting, 88mm bore, rechambered head and many other things and i started making decent power, i would start breaking weak links in the motor. first was the clutch basket. then it was tranny. now it is the cylinder sleeve. im runnin about 80-85hp on my motor. it will stand up 1-3 with a +4 swinger and will throw 100ft roost's

i bought my zilla for the same reason, i dont wanna be like everyone else and buy a shee....

if you dont have money ready to be thrown into it or dont want a bottom-less pit, dont buy it.

2muchquad
10-04-2006, 03:08 AM
The 87s were the most desirable because of the larger reedblock/intake.They are more "torquey" in stock form than they are fast but they can be made to run with some cheese thrown at them.;) Probably cheaper to build a 250r though.:D

kennerz
11-03-2006, 02:37 AM
I love my zilla, broke three times in 17 yrs never would run for more than two seasons at a time, much nicer bike overall than any banshee with similar mods, or any quad for that matter.

Have a LTR450 - great bike overall, trail, dunes track it is nicer, but for dunes stock for stock the LT500R is the king of the dunes, no question, people have forgotten about them because they only made them for 4 years, banshee's are only popular because thay have been producing them since 87'

banshee, or even the TRX of similar years never won a shootout over the quadzilla if I remember correctly,

build it right and they can be reliable, call tudor's racing, or Duncan racing , as they have extensive experience with the LT500 motor

They are kinda heavy, but wide and stable, they handle well , and suspension can be re-valved to be pretty good (PEP)

sort it out right and you will have one of the best all purpose high performance quads of all time

Search for more info - they are great bikes period, ignore that earlier ignorant comment - about them being junk - they still sell for more than any banshee 99' or older with similar mods , at least where I live

kennerz
11-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Oh yeah, and that comment about 87's that was the worst year,Less head studs, had the most problems, notorious for blowing head gaskets/ blowing up...

89'& 90' were considered the best years, stay away from an 87' - they were upgraded in 88' - refined in 89'-90'

Tri-valleyracin
11-03-2006, 07:30 PM
the only reson for the blown head gasgets were the motor would have so much power it would twist and the head stay would keep the head strait but the studs would bend and blow the gasget. with out a head stay they would be fine.

jesshamner
11-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Let me know if you decide to buy one. My cousin told me last night that he is wanting to sell his. You might or might not be interested. It definitely rips though.

firefighterjosh
11-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
Let me know if you decide to buy one. My cousin told me last night that he is wanting to sell his. You might or might not be interested. It definitely rips though.

How much? I am not really looking for one right now but if the price is right I will buy anything lol

jesshamner
11-06-2006, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure what he wants for it. He only mentioned selling it when I talked to him. I'll find out and get back to you.

93_5.0
11-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by flying dutchman
i have a 89 quadzilla set up for mx.
the advantage of the quadzilla over the banshee is that it has a powervalve wich gives it awesome low end almost like a 4 stroke.

i took mine out yesterday on the cornfield wich is about 150foot wide in the back.
when i get reach the end i just put it in 4th gear and start driftin it all the way down the 150foot wide edge and straighten it up on the straight back to the front.
and all that action is done in 4th gear at about 4000rpm:D
thanks to the powervalve.

you also have the advantage of a quadzilla being pretty long :) so it wont tip over as easy and its pretty heavy at the front to your wheels will stay on the grond.

i cant even do a wheely on it because of the power i tryed it on tarmac but i just burned the tires instead of getting it into a wheely

my 2 cents: its the most powerfull quad ive ever ridden and it has a great fun factor.
when set up right it fires first kick (atleast mine does) and it wont let you down

I have the same problem with my 250R, it wont even do a wheelie on tarmac, I was kinda disapointed because on black top it just slins throught 3 gear.