PDA

View Full Version : Oil Resivore filled up

firefighterjosh
09-19-2006, 09:07 PM
While riding at the dunes my buddy noticed his quad lost a little power. He had a flat dune tire. I thought that would be the problem. Cuz It stilled revved up fine and everything.

He then checked the oil and the resovore filled up:confused: Not sure why. It was thin too. its not coolant. It could be gas but I could not smell any.

Is there a common problem that I should be aware of???

Thanks

daddio
09-20-2006, 06:55 PM
The bottom line going into the oil tank has a strainer on it, that sometimes get plugged with paint chips and other crap. Pull the oil line off and clean it real good. I do this about every 6 months.

firefighterjosh
09-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by daddio
The bottom line going into the oil tank has a strainer on it, that sometimes get plugged with paint chips and other crap. Pull the oil line off and clean it real good. I do this about every 6 months.

Thanks for the tip. We figured out the problem. He left his gas on overnite when we were at the dunes. He checked the oil cold in the morning and all looked good. Well over the nite the gas must have leaked into the case. After he started it up the oil/gas mix must have made its was into the resovore and then when he check it later that day it was filled up. I don't think it hurt anything.

STEVENJANNA
09-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Thanks for the tip. We figured out the problem. He left his gas on overnite when we were at the dunes. He checked the oil cold in the morning and all looked good. Well over the nite the gas must have leaked into the case. After he started it up the oil/gas mix must have made its was into the resovore and then when he check it later that day it was filled up. I don't think it hurt anything.
:huh I don't know about all of that.

standardryder
09-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh

i leave my gas on always unless im hauling it. i have never had anything like that happen:confused:

sim
09-21-2006, 10:58 AM
im not sure if thats the problem, because the only place your gas line’s connected to is your carb. And lets say your carb was allowing to much gas in the float boll it would just come out the over flow lines. Even if you left your gas on all night im preaty sure if anything you would just have a mess on your floor, other then that I really don’t see how gas would go in your oil?

im not a mechanic but i do have some experience working with small engines and thats why im trying to understand how you see it being gas in the oil?

Toadz400
09-21-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm also confused as to how the gas got into your oil.:confused:

firefighterjosh
09-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I am not sure how it works ether but My banshee did the same thing except it would just flood my engine out.

I am not sure, it didn't smell like gas but what else could it be??? It isn't coolant. Since he has changed the oil the last time he always shuts off his gas and nothing has happend yet. So after the race this weekend we are going to leave his gas on overnite and see if it does it again.

If he races it and it overfills again...then It has to be coolant. I don't know what else it could be.

After the race if it has not overflowed again then we will leave the gas on and if it overflows then It must be gas.

Toadz400
09-22-2006, 12:45 PM
But how is the gas getting into your oil?? The only way that would happen if someone is deliberately pouring gas into your oil, that's the only way I could see it as happening. What color is the oil after it's mixed with this substance?

firefighterjosh
09-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
But how is the gas getting into your oil?? The only way that would happen if someone is deliberately pouring gas into your oil, that's the only way I could see it as happening. What color is the oil after it's mixed with this substance?

The oil looks fine it is just really thin. the only thing I can think of is that the floats are stuck and maybe the vent hose is clogged? Or maybe the vent hose is at too much of a angle and the gas leakes donw into the case???

Toadz400
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Well make sure that your overflow lines for the carb aren't right next to the vent hose for the case.

firefighterjosh
09-22-2006, 01:08 PM
We will do this little test next week and we will see what happends

sim
09-22-2006, 01:16 PM
keep us posted

wdsrzr
09-23-2006, 05:56 PM
that is crazy.because it just happened to my yfz.the problem was my overflow lines were pluged and my floats were stuck.so when i shut my quad off one of the valves must have been opened alowing the gas to go into the case.so that is probally what happened to your quad.

firefighterjosh
09-24-2006, 06:25 PM
We did the little test and it was gas.....

The floats were stuck and somone that owned it before him being a moron just raised the vent tubes so it wouldn't leak:confused: So the gas had to have somewere to go so It must have ran down through the intake and into the cyclinder.

It is now FIXED:D

sim
09-24-2006, 07:31 PM
sweet good job