PDA

View Full Version : Hmf slip-on with powerbomb header

fastyz85
09-19-2006, 05:45 PM
hey guys i heard a while back that if you take a hmf slip on with a fmf powerbob header it makes more air flow then the hmf full system.if anybody is running this setup tell me how you like it because im considering it for my ex.also how loud is this setup or just the hmf slip on in general compared to the powercore 4 w/o baffle.cause i think im pushing 97-98 db's.any help is appreciated.

underpowered
09-19-2006, 05:55 PM
the powerbomb will actually make your bike quieter. the bomb part deadens sound slightly and gives you a little deeper tone. it will probably be about the same as your powercore as far as sound goes, but IMO it is a better sound. I have not campared a FMF/HMF combo verses the HMF full but know the FMF/HMF combo works great and sounds great too.

fastyz85
09-19-2006, 06:02 PM
thanks then im sold because i hate my fmf lol.plus i hear the hmf gives lots of wheelie powerand with the powerbomb.oh **** watch out.lol.the only thing else i have to ask is i heard that you have to adapt the powerbomb to the hmf because the hmf is a bigger diameter.if so how do i do this or can i have fmf do it when i buy the header,or is there a shop that speacializes in this.sorry for the questions just want to make sure.

cals400ex
09-19-2006, 07:48 PM
i do not think the powerbomb/slip on combo will match the hmf full system. the hmf full system has a larger diameter pipe than the powerbomb. where the powerbomb meets the slip on silencer it is the same size as the stock header. the hmf header is not. thus, you can NOT swap a hmf slip on silencer with a HMF full system silencer.....the hmf full system silencer is larger where the head pipe meets the silencer. if you are not into drag racing and do a lot of trail riding and stuff like that then i would not worry about it too much. if you do drag racing, i would get the full hmf in that case.....well actually if you do a lot of dragging and plan on modding the motor with a cam/piston then i would get the sparks x-6.

fastyz85
09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
its just as you can see in my sig i am getting a cam and piston and a slip on doesn't cut it.i need a full system and sparks is ok but i would rather have a hmf. plus i like the sound of the hmf.there must be some way to make it fit if there are people with these systems.

beadlesracing00
09-20-2006, 01:18 PM
well if where the powerbomb goes into the silencer is the same diameter as the stock head pipe, then wouldnt a hmf slip on for the stock 400 head pipe work with the powerbomb? or is the powerbomb a larger diameter than stock, but just not as big as the pipe in the hmf full system?

fastyz85
09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
o and cals 400ex if the powerbomb is the same diameter as the stock headpipe then won't it work because the hmf slip-on is made to"slip on"the stock headpipe.

bubba's400ex
09-20-2006, 03:57 PM
i have the powerbomb and it is the same size as stock so it will work.

fastyz85
09-20-2006, 04:10 PM
do u have the hmf also.if so how much power would you say the hmf with powerbomb has compared to the hmf full.

bubba's400ex
09-20-2006, 04:11 PM
no i just have the powerbomb
i am probably going to get a hmf soon though

wysse
09-21-2006, 03:20 PM
i am looking for a powerbomb header to use with my hmf slip on! cant find one for a fair price (used) but when I do ill let you know!

cals400ex
09-21-2006, 11:18 PM
the powerbomb and the stock header are interchangable. so the powerbomb would work with a stock silencer. not sure why you would do that, but it would work.

you can convert the slip on hmf to the full system hmf by drilling the rivots out of the front of the silencer (where the header slip in) and replace it with the full system piece. however, you then have to buy the hmf header as well.

the hmf is a great pipe. i we use that and a sparks. the hmf is good for all around power and does give drastic increases over stock. it won't quite keep up with the sparks for dragging, but it probably gives better low end power. personally, i like the sound of the sparks pipes. but, i don't buy pipes for the sound. i buy for the performance.

fastyz85
09-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
the powerbomb and the stock header are interchangable. so the powerbomb would work with a stock silencer. not sure why you would do that, but it would work.

you can convert the slip on hmf to the full system hmf by drilling the rivots out of the front of the silencer (where the header slip in) and replace it with the full system piece. however, you then have to buy the hmf header as well.

the hmf is a great pipe. i we use that and a sparks. the hmf is good for all around power and does give drastic increases over stock. it won't quite keep up with the sparks for dragging, but it probably gives better low end power. personally, i like the sound of the sparks pipes. but, i don't buy pipes for the sound. i buy for the performance.

i want to do this because i love the the hmf full system header has less air flow than the powerbomb.but nevermind i just decided that i would get the fullsystem because i know that will fit,and a tab bit less air flow is nothing to cry about because its stil gives a heck of a lot more air flow then my stocker.

krt400ex
09-22-2006, 04:08 PM
i don't know how true this is, but i was thinking. if the hmf slip on is made to work with the stock diameter header, and the fmf header will work, then wouldn't that mean that the fmf header is the same diameter as stock??
i just thought i would bring that up. i would just buy the full hmf pipe. u will get more power that way. just my $.02

Chin_Chilla
09-22-2006, 06:59 PM
-copyguy- has the HMF Sport series silencer with the Powerbomb headpipe, just pm him what he thinks about it or wait and see if he posts here.

-copyguy-
09-23-2006, 12:48 PM
I like the combo. Here's the facts from my experience:

the FMF powerbomb header has a "stock" size outlet and will fit ANY slipon (including the stock POS)
the HMF FULL system exhaust has a larger inlet that will ONLY fit the HMF header (AFAIK)
I have not used the HMF header, I got the FMF because I wanted to quiet my HMF slipon down a little bit (which it did)
I definitely felt significant gains with just the HMF slip on and "felt" some more gains with the FMF header added in once stuff was jetted correctly
I didn't dyno anything at all to find out what the real gains were. All I can say is that I had enough spare power after putting the FMF/HMF combo on that I was able to step back up to a 14T front sprocket from a 13T and still feel the torque gains
IF I were doing racing and sound was not an issue, I would have gone with a FULL HMF or Sparks system. I don't race though...all I do is ride trails (and occasionally screw around at a track). I'm sure their headers flow a lot better than the powerbomb...I got it for a slight increase in power and for noise deadening...
I also run with the HMF quiet core in place. I have never run with it out.

Hope this helps.