PDA

View Full Version : Widen/lower my 400

GearHeadz400ex
09-19-2006, 05:15 PM
I've been looking around at a more inexpensive way to widen my quad without spending $$ that I don't have on extended a-arms. I also did not want to lose any suspension travel so it was pretty hard to find what I was looking for. I've come up with two different types of lowering/widening kits.

http://www.durablue.com/prods_lowering_kits.shtml
I just found this one today and it seems like it really widens it. (click on the installation instructions for the 450r and you can see a front end pic of exactly what it is doing) It seems like it really widens it but it also seems like it could be really weak.

http://www.crjperformance.com/frloki.html
I found this one a while ago and in theory to me it seems like I would lose supension travel and it doesn't seem to widen the quad very much.

Just wondering which one you guys think are better and if it is worth getting either one. Thanks for your guys help in advance.

BigFish
09-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Both work great. Personally I would go w/ the durable strut for the rear and the durablue front lowering kit, mainly b/c w/ the cri u cannot use aftermarket a-arms...

Here's what it looks like on a 400

BigFish
09-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Another

GearHeadz400ex
09-19-2006, 05:51 PM
alright I think I'm going to go with the durable front and year. BigFish, if thats your 400 its lookin great, the redbull's are a very nice touch as well.

BigFish
09-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Thats my quad's twin, me and my buddy's got matching 400s, if u don't like red bull, u can always go w/ monster...

GearHeadz400ex
09-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Damn those are some nice bikes... just wondering why you don't have that lowering kit on yours... Also not to be a pain and ask so many questions, but, approx. how much does it widen the quad?

450r51
09-21-2006, 05:43 AM
that can not be safe with those shocks straight up and down???:huh

widening kits and spacers are not safe at all!!! all they do is put added stress onto everything, and eventually can make things fail. my advice dont waste your money on this junk. look on ebay for a low cost set of standard travel a-arms.

clipse4u2c
09-21-2006, 08:04 AM
i'm guessing you just bought the drink and then cut the can and wrapped it? How did you cut that can so perfect? and where did you get those clamps? thanks

BigFish
09-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't have mine lowered b/c I'm more into mx than drag racing. The blue one's just been used for drag racing here lately. I would not ever even consider jumping the quad w/ it lowered. The rear strut would be ok, I would have a hard time trusting the front, though. I've seen quads w/ the durable front lowering kit jump at the local TT track and they were fine. I personally wouldn't do it. In fact, I wouldn't lower the quad if ur not drag racing. They really don't widen the quad that much. Push your front bumper down a inch or two, and thats as wide as it's going to get. You'll need a-arms if ur wanting it noticably wider...

The only way I would run the lowering kit is for drag racing, but like I've said I've seen them run for years on the TT track w/ no problems, and have never personally had a problem w/ them.

On the rezzies, I used a straight edge and a blade. For the clamps, A friend of mine runs a cnc machine for joe gibbs racing, so we get him to play around w/ it when he's not busy.

Toadz400
09-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by 450r51
that can not be safe with those shocks straight up and down???:huh

widening kits and spacers are not safe at all!!! all they do is put added stress onto everything, and eventually can make things fail. my advice dont waste your money on this junk. look on ebay for a low cost set of standard travel a-arms.

Better go tell that to Tim Farr!

I'm thinking about ordering a lowering kit for my Banshee to make it a little better on the ice this year. I finally got it running good so I'm definately going to hit up some ice races.

450r51
09-22-2006, 06:43 AM
hmm i really dont think tim farr has a bolt on lowering kit for tt, if he even has one at all!

and for tt since your not doing ne major jumping or constant pounding on your quad then these kits are fine for that, if i ran tt or drag raced i would run a kit like this. as for nething else im not risking my life with a lowering kit.