PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on plastics, please

Xplocivic
09-19-2006, 03:42 PM
OK, so I'm in the market for some new plastics, they will be black. I don't know if I want to go with Maier, Fullbore, or Laker Custom. If I go Maier, it will be the one piece race front. The Maiers are the cheapest. Let me know what you guys think of the different plastics and if you run them, let me see a pic. Thanks.

fastyz85
09-19-2006, 04:21 PM
i don't own fullbores(yet) but from what i've seen with other peoples quads there sick looking.they may be pricey at 250 each for front and rear but they're worth it. i personally like the blue or red fenders though because black shows scratches too easily.

400ex124
09-19-2006, 04:46 PM
ok personall opinion... i hated my black mier plastic it didnt mount up worth a **** and it was flemsy and floppin around everywear. so i sold it and was gunna buy full bore, cuz ive only hear good things about it. but then i seen the laker custom, and bought it, and damn does it look good. if i was you i would go with that. i like the looks alot better, but thats just me, and you know that people tend to like what they have the best ;)

Franky G
09-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Maier have improved their fenders over the years now I am ready to say thei are has good hase the other big names

BigFish
09-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Franky G, are u high?, Maier still don't mount up right and are not close to the quality of fullbore or laker....

For $100 more, u can get lakers which don't need drilling, mount up perfect, and are 100% better quality wise. I've had both and would only consider maier if looks didn't matter and I knew for a fact I was going to beat the **** out of the quad. I do keep a spare set of maier for hardcore woods riding

400ex124
09-19-2006, 05:10 PM
For $100 more, u can get lakers which don't need drilling, mount up perfect, and are 100% better quality wise. I've had both and would only consider maier if looks didn't matter and I knew for a fact I was going to beat the **** out of the quad. I do keep a spare set of maier for har core woods riding [/B]

ahmen to that... and the part about keeping the spare set of maier is a good idea, im gunna give that to ya

81 clark racing
09-20-2006, 09:30 AM
my maier mounted up fine yea u have 2 drill holes but so what they fit just fine and mine are not floppy at all they come with support rods. up 2 u if u have the money get laker if not get maier an ull love thm an b fine

PismoLocal
09-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Here is my black maiers.....

PismoLocal
09-20-2006, 09:51 AM
from the back.......

09-20-2006, 10:11 AM
If you get maier get it from GWC. They sell it cheep as you can get. They sell it for $220 a full set (except tank cover). My maier race plastic mounted perfect. My maier race plastic had the holes drilled in it when i got it (from nacs). I have no sag in my plastic at all and had it for over 3 years.
I also baught a maier std front (holds lights) and i had to drill 6 holes. Needed to drill holes on front for it to mount down and had to drill 2 holes for the black light housing and had to drill 2 holes for the side pannles to mount up. It also was a bit hard to get the lightsa and all in that plastic front. When i had all holes drilled i put the plastic on. bolting the first side down to the frame was easy. Then going to the other side i had to pull realy hard on the side pannle to get it to mount. It mounted up alot harder than stock but i may have been off slightly drilling the holes for the side pannles. Also After having the std front mounted down the back of the lights were to close to the break line so i had to bent the break line mount back a ways. If you dont it will reck the lights whire harnes and you will blow a fuse every time you try to use the lights.

So the std front was a pain to get to work but looked good.
The race front had all holes pre drilled and mounted better than stock and the rear mounted the same as stock and it looks almost new and its been 3 years of use now and not one bit of sag.

I like laker and for some reason i dont like the full bore front idk why.

09-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by 400ex124
ok personall opinion... i hated my black mier plastic it didnt mount up worth a **** and it was flemsy and floppin around everywear. so i sold it and was gunna buy full bore, cuz ive only hear good things about it. but then i seen the laker custom, and bought it, and damn does it look good. if i was you i would go with that. i like the looks alot better, but thats just me, and you know that people tend to like what they have the best ;)

How could it flop? No 400ex plastic should. If it was the 400ex maier plastic flopping maybe you got a badset (if thats posable).Some quads like the raptor 660 need brackets to keep the rear plastic from sagging.
My 400ex rear dont sag at all. When i let people drive my quad i see the rear fenders kind of flop slightly when hitting a bump but it dont look close to bad. Only way i can think of having sagging/floppy plastic is if you crash alot cause maier plastic is stiffer than stock but the part on the rear plastic where it dips down by the seat well thats alot thinner and more flexable so it bends instead of cracks. Since its thinner it could make it sag but i dont think it would at less you roll it over.
One time 2 people were on my quad and the persons leg on the back was pushing down on one the left side of the fender and it bent it down slightly. I just grabbed the plastic and pulled up and it looked god as new.

In my opinion i think that maier/full bore/laker are all made of the same things but just look differant than one a nother.

People will buy what ever they think looks better. It's like the way a raptor looks. You eather think raptors look sick or look like a turd.

mx1791
09-20-2006, 10:58 AM
lakers are the nicest plastics for a 400ex, when i first saw a 400ex with them i wanted to sell my quad for an ex, lol. its up to you, but i kno lakers and fullbore are good quality, my maiers are ok, but the ones for an ex are ugly imo.

ckasper18
09-20-2006, 11:02 AM
I have red full bore 400ex and they are awesome they are like new they have 8 races on them i will sell them to you for $250.00 plus shipping pics are posted in the parts for sale colum........

09-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by mx1791
lakers are the nicest plastics for a 400ex, when i first saw a 400ex with them i wanted to sell my quad for an ex, lol. its up to you, but i kno lakers and fullbore are good quality, my maiers are ok, but the ones for an ex are ugly imo.

My maier plastic on my 400ex every one says it looks sick. May be its the set up and stuff idk.

fullbore and maier look alot alike except fullbore has 2 snout holes.

mx1791
09-20-2006, 11:11 AM
some maiers do looks nice on ex's, like pismolocals, maybe it is how the rest of the bike looks that makes the plastic go good too, i like the lakers best couse there so square and boxy, they remind me of a 250r

Xplocivic
09-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Well, I think I'm going Maier, just because of the price. I called GWC and can get the front and rear for $255 plus shipping. So I think thats what I'm gonna do. I really like the Laker Customs but I'd rather save the money.

mx1791
09-20-2006, 11:15 AM
only 255 for everything, thats a good price! and there is one HUGE advantage with the maiers over the lakers, you will have rear fenders that serve a purpose, lakers fenders are tiny

09-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Xplocivic
Well, I think I'm going Maier, just because of the price. I called GWC and can get the front and rear for $255 plus shipping. So I think thats what I'm gonna do. I really like the Laker Customs but I'd rather save the money.

Why $255? Their add says $220 and would be about $240 with shipping.:confused:
What set std or race?

Xplocivic
09-20-2006, 03:29 PM
race set. which should be cheaper. Thats what they said though!