PDA

View Full Version : Cheap upgrades

BranMan
09-19-2006, 02:23 PM
does any1 have any suggestions on some cheap upgrades for my 02 400ex i already have a k&n filter and a slip on pipe. Many ppl have said to get me new sprockets... wat god will they do for me? anyway if any1 has any advice for me please let me no..thanks

PismoLocal
09-19-2006, 02:25 PM
If you get a 14 tooth front sprocket your quad will accellerate much faster compared to stock.

ckasper18
09-19-2006, 02:27 PM
I fyou drop a tooth or two in the rearn you will gain some top speed go a tooth or two bigger and you will gain horsepower but loose some top end speed

PismoLocal
09-19-2006, 02:36 PM
If I was you I would go with the 14 tooth front, you can use your stock chain and a front sprocket only costs around $10 compared to a rear which can be anywhere from $20-$70+.

underpowered
09-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by ckasper18
I fyou drop a tooth or two in the rearn you will gain some top speed go a tooth or two bigger and you will gain horsepower but loose some top end speed

got it backwards, and a little wrong

If you drop a tooth up front youwill gain accel. and loose top speed. it will feel like you have more power. if you go up a tooth you will gain top speed but lose accel. it will feel a little less powerfull.

you will not "gain" Horsepower from cahnign sprockets. it will just feel more powerfull because you have lower gearing and the quad is accelerating faster.

bubba's400ex
09-19-2006, 03:37 PM
he was talking about rear sprockets so he was correct about that part.

underpowered
09-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by bubba's400ex
he was talking about rear sprockets so he was correct about that part.

if that is the case, then he was correct except about teh HP part. but you will not likely notice only 1 tooth in the rear, it is such a small change.

Honda#4
09-19-2006, 05:44 PM
how about a cam,sprockets,timeing key,rev box.

BranMan
09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
just wondering.... my chain is so loose it is skippin teeth. anyway the adjuster on the swingarm will not tighten the chain anymore it is to the end if i move it either way it makes it looser. so does the chain usually strech that much or is something else wrong?? How can i solve this problem?? Please help me....Thanks

Can i take a link out of the chain?? if so will some1 help me on how to do it?? i think i no but im not positive

Eviltanker
09-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Get a new chain and sprockets. 14 tooth front and a stock rear(not sure of the size). Don't mess with taking a link out it will only cause problems down the road.

BranMan
09-19-2006, 06:46 PM
this may b a stupid question to most but wat size is the stock chain??? and wat is the bes chain and sprocket to buy and where from??

ckasper18
09-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Yes i guess i stated that wrong you dont gain more hordepower you just gain quickness or top sppeed stock gearing is 15/38 with a 520 chain i like the regina chains a little more money but well worth the price.However though a smaller rear sprocket takes less horsepower to turn 1 tooth does not make a big difference but a little.On my dyno dropping 2 teeth in the rear gains you a couple mph but it also holds the power curve longer less rotating mass takes less horsepower.

ckasper18
09-19-2006, 07:05 PM
If you have a grinder grind both pins out of the link take a punch hit where pin was and wala chain is a part if its sstock chain there is no master link go to your dealer and buy a link.If i was you your chain is probably junk if there is no more adjustment left

BranMan
09-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the help.... umm where do u recomend buying the chain and sprockets from??? O and how many teeth do i need to drop b4 the chain size is different??

cals400ex
09-19-2006, 07:43 PM
are you looking for power upgrades, looks, handling, etc?

the sprockets won't change the power of the bike necessarily. it will basically shift the power around. if you do trail riding then you lower the gearing (smaller front or bigger rear sprockets). if you like to top it out you can raise the gearing.

BranMan
09-19-2006, 08:11 PM
well if u guys can give me some ideas on cheap upgrades on both looks, handleing and power that would b great for further reference.. thanks

BranMan
09-20-2006, 09:07 PM
is the stock chain size a 520x94 or wat??

ride_red666
09-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
if that is the case, then he was correct except about teh HP part. but you will not likely notice only 1 tooth in the rear, it is such a small change.
i liked changin the back sprocket instead cause then u dont loose as much top end as you would with a 14t front. i would get the 39 t for more accel