PDA

View Full Version : Yfz450???

sled_ed 300ex
09-19-2006, 09:04 AM
so i just bought a 07 yfz450 and i love it !!!!

any feed back of other owner on this site, like problemes you hade or things that realy help the power and control of the quad????

besides that its the best quad i have ever ridin !!!

great job yamaha.

FoxRacing81
09-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Congrats. I just got my 06 a few weeks ago, and I love it.

First thing I did though is get rid of those awful stock bars. On an 07 I think they are different, so they may suit you fine, but I am 6'4'', and the stock bars just sucked for me. A set of Renthal Banshee Bend helped a ton...

If you are race MX, the stock tires also suck. I have been having to race with them for 4 races and I cannot tell you how many times I've said to myself "Man, I wish I had some MX tires". It seems like they don't wanna hook up where you would expect them to, but when you try to corner, all they wanna do is grab and not let me go fast through the corners.

I am getting new mx tires all the around, air filter, and hopefully a pipe over the winter.

The next thing though that I am replacing is the stock throttle.
My last race on sunday(4 laps), the 1st moto I was leading for 3 and like 3/4 laps, then my throttle thumb completely locked up on me. I got passed, and I barely made it around the rest of the track to the finishline.
So, I am investing in a twist throttle before the next race.

But, I love the power. My buddy who races in my class just got a Sparks Full System, HRC Cam and an air filter, and he also has mx tires all the way around, and I still spanked him on the holeshot (mine is all stock power and tire wise). And he is also a bit less lighter then me, and we are about equal in riding.

So, congrats again. You will love it.

smr
09-19-2006, 10:58 AM
I got mine about two months ago. Take the spring out of the throttle and that really helps.

I'm not crazy about the bars either.

Architects
09-19-2006, 01:29 PM
lets see some pics!

sled_ed 300ex
09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
what spring man?????

CannondaleRider
09-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by sled_ed 300ex
what spring man?????

If you open up the thumb throttle assembly, there should be a circular spring on the wiper lever in there. Take it out, and your throttle will be a little less stiff

sled_ed 300ex
09-20-2006, 07:27 AM
ok thanks guys... should i just put a slip on on it or a complete because some people tell me that i should just put a slip onī????

and what is the best kind for it ..

Toadz400
09-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by sled_ed 300ex
ok thanks guys... should i just put a slip on on it or a complete because some people tell me that i should just put a slip onī????

and what is the best kind for it ..

I'd buy suspension and anything else before any performance mods. It's plenty fast stock.

I wouldn't take out the spring in the throttle housing, it's there for a reason. If you have a problem with your thumb being sore (Only had this problem once but that was after several hours of straight through riding on rough terrain) then look for a 400EX throttle on eBay.

smr
09-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I'd buy suspension and anything else before any performance mods. It's plenty fast stock.

I wouldn't take out the spring in the throttle housing, it's there for a reason. If you have a problem with your thumb being sore (Only had this problem once but that was after several hours of straight through riding on rough terrain) then look for a 400EX throttle on eBay.

I agree on the suspension but not the spring. Remove the spring and it makes a big difference. The spring in the carb is plenty strong enough.

CannondaleRider
09-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah, if the spring in the carb doesn't close the carb itself, then you have a problem.

mx1791
09-20-2006, 11:24 AM
if i where you id go with a full system, my brothers 06 header was thin and it glowed red all the time, and it was jetted like crap from the factory, so he got a full hmf, and rejetted it, and no more glowing header, and the power is unbeliveable, it kills my naighbors 05 450r with full sparks pipe, and hrc kit. and yea, the stock tires suck, if you get new ones, go to rockymountain for them, they seem to be cheap there. the throttle is weird too, my friend put a 400ex throttle on his and it was better, my brother want to do that too, but if this spring thing is a good idea ill tell him about it.

sled_ed 300ex
09-20-2006, 02:14 PM
ok sweet guys thanks !!!!!
i will take out the spring and let you guys know

Toadz400
09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I am just weary about taking out something that is there for a purpose. You never know if there is that freak incident when the spring in the carb fails and you have no spring in your throttle housing to bring the lever back. Things all happen in a split second and that's what those are there for.

I would much rather just buy a 400EX throttle for $20 and do it the safe logical way.

This is actually the first time I've heard of someone removing that spring and I've been on YFZCentral for quite awhile. I've heard of people cutting the spring inside the carb but that's led to some problems also.