PDA

View Full Version : Cam next ?

Dune Surfer
09-01-2002, 10:20 AM
Ok I can't afford to get the 426 kit but was wandering if just a new cam might give me a little boost. I was thinking of buying a Hotcams stage2 and having it installed. What do you think? would it be worth it, or should I wait until I can afford the whole rebuild?
Anybody know of a good shop in the San diego ca area.

Big - D Racing
09-01-2002, 01:42 PM
There's a ton of big name shops, and not so big name shops in San Diego that could do that. There's Duncan Racing, Sam Coe Perfomance, Timmy Boy, Baja Designs, and many more. The cam won't do much for you until you have your big bore kit installed.

Dune Surfer
09-01-2002, 10:27 PM
Thanks Big D,
Yea I know I won't get alot but I'm on a budget. Better to get a cam now and a piston later than to get nothing at all.
Are any of the shops you listed better than the others? Do you use any of them? I have read your post before and you seem to know what's going on, so let me ask you what would your upgrade be for three or four hundred bucks and you did'nt want to do the work yourself. I'm just trying to get more kick without going crazy on a new engine. What do you think? you can see what mods I have done, what would you do next? let me know

Big - D Racing
09-02-2002, 12:49 AM
I would use Sam Coe Performance they're a big name company, just recently they had their 690 Raptor in ATV Sport. I like Duncan Racing a little better, but Duncan is real expensive. Sam Coe is located right next to Duncan Racing at:
10734 Kenney Street Unit D
Santee Ca 92071
(619) 449-3905
They have a real nice 426 kit that they recomenned over a 440.
The first thing I would do is a big bore kit. Most cams don't work good with stock engines, and most cam companies will tell you to only use it if you have a high compression piston or else it will do you no good. You can get a big bore kit (piston, sleeve, and gasket) for $200 if you search for one on the internet (I'd get a 426 or 440 I run 440). Sam coe will probably charge you like $280 if you order it through them. So search for a good price. Then take it (big bore kit) to Sam Coe they'll put it in for you and it won't cost that much. It's $195 to resleeve your cylinder. You'll have to brig them your head for that price, or else they'll charge you like $150 for labor on removing your head. Then all you do is bolt your head back on and attach the piston to the crank, pretty easy to do if you have a manual. So for around $400 you can have a big bore kit put in. Then later do the cam($160), titanium valve springs($100), and hardened rockers($200) because it will benefit you then. Or get your head ported ($300)and polished so it can breathe better. Those things can be added anytime after the big bore is in. Of course in the long run it'll save you a little if you do it all at once, but you aren't rich so that's what i'd do. Give Sam Coe a call.
P.S. Get a 11:1 compression piston it'll serve you best. You don't have to run race fuel(unless you want to) with it.

Dune Surfer
09-02-2002, 10:48 AM
Thanks big D. I will have to save alot more pennies to do that, I will give them a call. Thanks again for the tips.