PDA

View Full Version : Anyone elses quad smoke a lil when get hot?

rebelbuggy
09-18-2006, 10:43 PM
just wondered if anyone elses 4 wheeler runs hot and goes to smoking a little. mine runs great but if i push it hard it will go to getting hot and smoking, i park her and let it rest and then go more and no smoke at all... i dont understand...

im bout to redomy sig so read it for all it has...

JJ69
09-18-2006, 11:00 PM
my 250x does this.. but its due for an oil change so i think thats why

rebelbuggy
09-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by JJ69
my 250x does this.. but its due for an oil change so i think thats why

Really! humm. Mine done it right after a oil change well not right after , maybe 30 minutes of riding... I do need to change my oil tho, how often do you guys change yours? every hour of riding or...

bwamos
09-19-2006, 08:19 AM
I only change mine every few rides.

Never had a problem with it.. and the oil is always still very clean.

If you're racing it... that's on a completely different maintenance tier. ;)

Also mine never smokes.

Is it blue, or black smoke? If it's black you may be running fat on the main. If it's blue.. you either have a ring seal problem, or valve guides are worn.

Smoking at startup is probably valve guides
Smoking after hot is probably piston rings.

Very broad of course.. troubleshooting required.

rebelbuggy
09-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
I only change mine every few rides.

Never had a problem with it.. and the oil is always still very clean.

If you're racing it... that's on a completely different maintenance tier. ;)

Also mine never smokes.

Is it blue, or black smoke? If it's black you may be running fat on the main. If it's blue.. you either have a ring seal problem, or valve guides are worn.

Smoking at startup is probably valve guides
Smoking after hot is probably piston rings.

Very broad of course.. troubleshooting required.

yeah like i said, only smokes after i run it hard, I can drive it around the yard, down the 2 neighborhoods wot just about and back home and around and it never smokes..

only when I ride it really hard..

its new piston and rings. so not sure.

bwamos
09-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by rebelbuggy
yeah like i said, only smokes after i run it hard, I can drive it around the yard, down the 2 neighborhoods wot just about and back home and around and it never smokes..

only when I ride it really hard..

its new piston and rings. so not sure.

Did they rehone the cylinder before install. The rings may not have seated right. Did they gap the rings before intsalling? Do a compression/leakdown test.

It's blue smoke right?

rebelbuggy
09-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Did they rehone the cylinder before install. The rings may not have seated right. Do a compression/leakdown test.

It's blue smoke right?

Yeah it was bore out .40 out and everything.
yes its Blue smoke not alot, just a little.

bwamos
09-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Blue puffs when revved out?

It's sure sounding like a ring issue.

Good news is that's an easy fix. A hone and some new rings and your set.

rebelbuggy
09-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Blue puffs when revved out?

It's sure sounding like a ring issue.

Good news is that's an easy fix. A hone and some new rings and your set.

yeah when you give it gas, its not that much,,, I got a video camrea I could film it next time I ride and post online I guess so people could see.

well I dont understand why when its a brand new piston and rings.

you forgot the full day of work involved with that also LOL

JJ69
09-19-2006, 03:31 PM
mine only did it when it was hot.. the old oil was hurtin'.
new 10/40 and a filter and it smoked for about 10 seconds after i started it back up, havent seen any smoke since. i figure the old oil was just cooked.

00tn300ex
09-19-2006, 10:03 PM
id have to bet its were the filter was backwards.id say your cylinder is scored from lack of oil

JJ69
09-21-2006, 02:42 PM
it appears i spoke too soon.
i took her for a rip today and when i gav'er nuts in 3rd, it left a white smoke trail.. and idling in neutral its fine but when i rev it, white smoke puffs out.
its not alot, but a significant enough amount to worry about.
what should i do?
i have around $150-200 to put into the motor, because i have to buy a new carrier and fix the brakes as well.

could it be rings?
should i have it honed and put rings in it and had the valves done?
i'd probably have to take it to a shop to do it.. last time i had the top end off a bike i bent the valves in my bayou and it blew up a few weeks later on the new piston/rings.. :S

rebelbuggy
09-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by JJ69
it appears i spoke too soon.
i took her for a rip today and when i gav'er nuts in 3rd, it left a white smoke trail.. and idling in neutral its fine but when i rev it, white smoke puffs out.
its not alot, but a significant enough amount to worry about.
what should i do?
i have around $150-200 to put into the motor, because i have to buy a new carrier and fix the brakes as well.

could it be rings?
should i have it honed and put rings in it and had the valves done?
i'd probably have to take it to a shop to do it.. last time i had the top end off a bike i bent the valves in my bayou and it blew up a few weeks later on the new piston/rings.. :S

wow , that stinks, well I most likly should have gotten never valves or at least guides and springs and I just had my buddy clean them all up for me, maybe I should get a shop to do it but....
if you had a RPM gadge on it prolly be seeing its getting rev'ed up really high and i know you shouldnt its hard on the engines.

250exkid
10-27-2006, 09:22 PM
i would do a ring job and hone out your cylinder to seed it self..... thats bassically what you gotta do with new rings and pistons even on my snowmobile i hone it out and the hone is pretty cheap i wanny say around 50$$$ im not sure...

rebelbuggy
10-28-2006, 07:34 AM
well it was done when i got the new piston and all and had it bore out, I got a new pipe on it now and it doesnt seem to do it, I think the old pipe had all kinda crap inside it and thats what was doing it, not sure. I hardly ride her anymore been doing other things.