PDA

View Full Version : 1993 s-10 problem

2001300exguy
09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
alright heres the story. a month or two ago my truck stopped firing on one cylinder because it poped out of gear and im assuming threw some carbon up on the spark plug. well yesterday night i was driving home and as i punched it in 2nd gear it just fell on its face power wise. it bogged then picled back up and seemed ok. today i went to look at it; first i checked the left side spark plugs, one was out of gap but i fixed that and it started and ran like it did yesterday night. next i checked the right side spark plugs and all were fine, crisp gold color. started it and it still ran the same sounded like it had a realy bad lope. so i figured id check the intake, took the lid off the the air filter and opened the butterflies a few times and went to start it with out the lid on so i could see if the butterflies and fuel spray were working. it started and ran the same as before so i put everyhing back together. but then i went to start it nd it would not start, thought i had switched some spark plug wires so checked them all and tried all the possible combinations, nothing worked. So i called my dad and he suggested pouring a little bit of gas in the butter flies to see if it would start. i did as he said and it turned over and ran but then made a suvking noise and a pop and stoped; i did this several more times with the same result and then it backfired and caught the intake on fire. I manged to get it out before it melted or burned anything but i decided i was done and stopped. im puzzled as to what it could be so i figured and see if anyone knew on here.O its a 2.8L v6in a 2wd s-10 with about 240,000 miles

brian-250
09-18-2006, 06:29 PM
I hate to tell you but a 2.8 with 240K on it, it could be starting to have some valve problems. Next tiem your out of if one of your buddies has the tools take a commpression check of the cyl. giving you trouble then check a good one and see of theres a diffrence.

2001300exguy
09-18-2006, 07:51 PM
yea thats what i was afraid of. i knew it was bound to happen sooner or later

Rastus
09-18-2006, 08:08 PM
With this kind of thing, use the KISS method. >> Keep It Simple Stupid << It works most of the time too. :p

Check your compression, make sure you've got some mediocre numbers. Since it's an older motor it won't have the best sealing, but you'll know if you've got a valve problem on one of the cylinders.

Next, check and make sure you've got good spark and you didn't screw up one of your wires when you took them on/off so many times. Since a new tune-up is pretty cheap I usually just get new stuff instead of fiddling with old plugs, wires, etc. I like to use AC Delco plugs on GM stuff and a good set of wires. A cheap set can turn into more work than it should be real quick. :scary:

Next, are you getting fuel? When's the last time you checked or replaced your fuel filter or fuel pump?

Just some things to get you started...

SGA
09-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Rastus

Next, are you getting fuel? When's the last time you checked or replaced your fuel filter ?

From what you said your truck is doing, this is what I would replace first.
Also check for vacuum leaks in the hoses. You may have knocked one loose while checking the plugs