PDA

View Full Version : suspension questions (06 yfz)

pharit
09-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Whats up all

Ok i'm having some trouble jumping my yfz. Recently i've been goin to the local mx track pratice session's. Now my Brother in law has a z400 and i can follow him pretty good and usually do doin the jumps and things like that. Well i'll be goin just as fast as him and i come up short everytime. Now the only thing he's got on me in a pipe, cams, extended axle and nerfs. Now i know those mods really don't help you jump and everything but the pipe will give a little more power and the extended axle i know he can come outta the corners faster and the nerf bars are just some extra insurance so you don't F your self up.

Now i know the z400's suspension is soft and squissy. And my yfz is nice and stiff. Now we went to a friend of mines house that has an 8 foot free style ramp. 2nd gear half throttle and 3rd gear half throttle i'd land in the same spot. I tried accelerating up the ramp. hitting it fast and nothing.

I'll Be honest here i really don't know how to pre load my suspension. I think that my suspension is so hard that i really can't.

Now would softening my suspension help me jump at all or am i just bein a puss and need to hit it faster or what. I'm just lookin for some tips on what i can do to my stock suspension to make me jump better or is it all just me.

Thanks all

Dune Surfer
09-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Well I'm no expert, but distance is based on speed. Sure you can preload and pop off the jump. But basicly it's all about your speed. your shocks are setup to bottom out only on your biggest jumps. You want to use all of your shock travel when you land. If your shocks are to stiff you will not be using them correctly.

Bottom line, go faster.

400exrider707
09-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Adjust your rebound. It will help to spring you off of the face of jumps. Its all in your suspension settings.