PDA

View Full Version : Suspension question

pharit
09-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Whats up all

Ok i'm having some trouble jumping my yfz. Recently i've been goin to the local mx track pratice session's. Now my Brother in law has a z400 and i can follow him pretty good and usually do doin the jumps and things like that. Well i'll be goin just as fast as him and i come up short everytime. Now the only thing he's got on me in a pipe, cams, extended axle and nerfs. Now i know those mods really don't help you jump and everything but the pipe will give a little more power and the extended axle i know he can come outta the corners faster and the nerf bars are just some extra insurance so you don't F your self up.

Now i know the z400's suspension is soft and squissy. And my yfz is nice and stiff. Now we went to a friend of mines house that has an 8 foot free style ramp. 2nd gear half throttle and 3rd gear half throttle i'd land in the same spot. I tried accelerating up the ramp. hitting it fast and nothing.

I'll Be honest here i really don't know how to pre load my suspension. I think that my suspension is so hard that i really can't.

Now would softening my suspension help me jump at all or am i just bein a puss and need to hit it faster or what. I'm just lookin for some tips on what i can do to my stock suspension to make me jump better or is it all just me.

Thanks all

Piker450
09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
how much you weigh. i turn my compression & rebound all out & in 2 turns. it should soften it up. word of advise, dont turn one without turning the other, i did and tried soften up the compression and not the rebound and it bucked me.

pharit
09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
155-160

troutman561
09-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Does this guy weigh less than you?

pharit
09-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Opps sorry troutman,

yeah the guy on the z400 out weights me by a good 40-50 lbs

pharit
09-19-2006, 02:51 PM
now i know the compression of the spring is made by those two rings that are threaded

now the rebound? is that the little brass screw looking deal?

Piker450
09-19-2006, 04:40 PM
when you adjust your spring it more or less adjust your sag. that puts the valving in the correct position for your weight. there is a way to set the sag, but i cant remember the numbers. but you set the the rear first buy lifting up on the rear to were the shock is fully extended and the rear wheels are still on the ground.then take a measurement under your foot pegs on the frame not the foot pegs. record the number. then set on the quad in a netural postion and take another measurement. that is your sag.

to adjust the front shocks you take a measurement 5 inch in front of were you set the rear and it should be 1/4 to 1/2 inch rise.

to adjust your compression on top of the shock is the brass screw, turn it counter-clockwise to soften the compression, or clockwise to stiffing it.

to adjust your rebound, on the bottom of the shock facing the frame is another screw, that is your rebound, turn it counter-clockwise to slow the rebound, or clockwise to speed it up.

hope this helps!

pharit
09-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Piker450
when you adjust your spring it more or less adjust your sag. that puts the valving in the correct position for your weight. there is a way to set the sag, but i cant remember the numbers. but you set the the rear first buy lifting up on the rear to were the shock is fully extended and the rear wheels are still on the ground.then take a measurement under your foot pegs on the frame not the foot pegs. record the number. then set on the quad in a netural postion and take another measurement. that is your sag.

to adjust the front shocks you take a measurement i think 8 inch in front of were you set the rear and it should be 1/4 inch lower i think. you might look around to find the numbers

to adjust your compression on top of the shock is the brass screw, turn it counter-clockwise to soften the compression, or clockwise to stiffing it.

to adjust your rebound, on the bottom of the shock facing the frame is another screw, that is your rebound, turn it counter-clockwise to slow the rebound, or clockwise to speed it up.

hope this helps!

Cool thanks

having those snag numbers would be great....

but someone on this site said that adjusting my rebound will help me spring off the jump better....

Piker450
09-19-2006, 05:18 PM
set your rebound to hard and it will shoot you off the seat! what i did is turn both screws out all the way, then turn them in 1 and a 1/2 turns in comp. and rebound. front and rear shock, it will soften the hole quad up

Piker450
09-19-2006, 05:37 PM
ive been looking on other sites but they talk about ride height, how high your frame is off the ground, i want to know what sag is for the rear shock. mx and xc. anyone know?????????????????