PDA

View Full Version : dies when shook front to back

250fox
09-18-2006, 02:30 PM
I can not figure this thing out........2000 Honda 400EX

If you turn sharp, go up a steep hill, do a wheelie or just shake the wheeler front to back it dies out....Wait just one second, start it and pump the gas its fine untill I turn again.........Grrrrrrrr........Makes it hard to catch up to peeps when quad keeps cutting out

I heard that the float maybe set too low......? is there a fix?

ThanX

deeman1
09-18-2006, 04:17 PM
has the carb been checked for dirt in the float bowl ? If dirt has gotten into the gas tank an inline filter would be a good idea after the carb is cleaned.

Aceman
09-18-2006, 04:35 PM
It's a fuel problem. Clean the carb out and check the float height.

firefighterjosh
09-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Is there gas in the tank?:p
Check the floats
Check the Petcock isn't clogged.
clean the carb out.

That should fix it

250fox
09-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Tank is almost full of gas. That was the first thing I checked , thats just my luck, but I have an inline fuse on and its brand new so is the spark plug. I had the carb cleaned from a buddy of mine so its Klean. How far from the top of the bowl should the float cut off the flow?

250fox
09-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Oops I mean^*inline fuel fileter*^ not in line fuse, sorry bout that.

bwamos
09-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 250fox
Oops I mean^*inline fuel fileter*^ not in line fuse, sorry bout that.

There's also a filter in the petcock.

You'll see a bolt/plug on the bottom of the petcock similar to the bolt/plug on the bottom of the carb bowl for the main jet.

Remove that plug, and there will be a small mesh filter in there. It gets pretty clogged.

I dont have a service manual currently handy to check the float specs, sorry.

I'd tear the carb back apart.. mistakes happen. :)

250fox
09-19-2006, 10:30 AM
I will check that today. Im not shure exactly were that is but I will look. A friend of mine said that my float should be about 1/8 inch from the top of the bowl but Im not shure if he ish right ya know.

250fox
09-20-2006, 09:23 AM
is the petcock on the bottom of the gas tank? I checked it and its clean. It runs great if Im on the street where it is smooth full throttle or not. but if you do a wheelie or turn sharp or shake it front to back it still dies. this is driving me nuts. Does anyone know where I can find an online 400ex service manual??? ThanX

09-20-2006, 09:58 AM
I think it's the floats if it only does that hitting bumps and stuff. If its good on flat stuff but bad on ruff then then some were isn't getting enough gas so it splashes around back and forth instead of flowing.

Excel pump maybe not filling with gas soon enough :confused:

I had a pocket bike like that. The gas lines were sticking like 2 inches up out of the gas tank so when gas got low and i hit bumps and the gas splashed around the fuel lines would suck air and bog for a sec. That's not your problume though but its some what like it.

bwamos
09-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 250fox
I will check that today. Im not shure exactly were that is but I will look. A friend of mine said that my float should be about 1/8 inch from the top of the bowl but Im not shure if he ish right ya know.

I dont have a 400ex manual.. but you can call the dealership and they can tell you what the float level should be.

250fox
09-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanx for the help. I will check the Honda shop for float hights. And I will pull carb off again and double check everything.

Thanx!