PDA

View Full Version : Question about GaS Octane

rebelbuggy
09-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Would I be able to tell a driffrence between running 87 pump then going to 93 pump?

I am almost out of gas and Thought about running it til its completly out then getting some 93 for it, but I dont really know if it make any driffence at all..

what do you guys think?

its a 96 Honda 300ex with a wiseco 11:1 comperson piston bored .40 over. stock carb and jet with a uni Filter...

let me know what you guys think

thanks

Sjorge450R
09-18-2006, 05:17 PM
you will notice a difference because your supposed to have nothing lower than 93 with the 11:1. It will run, but it will run crappy.

rebelbuggy
09-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
you will notice a difference because your supposed to have nothing lower than 93 with the 11:1. It will run, but it will run crappy.

well the guys at Honda delership said it be fine on 87, I have ran 3 tanks though it with that, I just put some 93 in it. I cant ride cause its raining, we will see what happens...

Would the gas otane have anything to do with it kinda making a knocking sound when hitting the throttle really hard in like 3rd 4th gear?

Sjorge450R
09-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by rebelbuggy
well the guys at Honda delership said it be fine on 87, I have ran 3 tanks though it with that, I just put some 93 in it. I cant ride cause its raining, we will see what happens...

Would the gas otane have anything to do with it kinda making a knocking sound when hitting the throttle really hard in like 3rd 4th gear?

yeah that will cause the motor to make pinging/knocking noises.

Oh and just for the record, dont listen to your Dealership. They told me that if I crossed the two wire on my clutch, that the quad wouldnt start.

rebelbuggy
09-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
yeah that will cause the motor to make pinging/knocking noises.

Oh and just for the record, dont listen to your Dealership. They told me that if I crossed the two wire on my clutch, that the quad wouldnt start.

LOL, I hear ya I know how mechanics and shops are, they are there to make money, if you dont mess up stuff they cant sell you parts, but these guys are supposed to be helpful my buddy always talks to them when they have a problem.

Maybe the 93 will help my engine out some.

bwamos
09-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Yea, you have to run premium on an 11:1.

Don't even think about it.. jstu get your Premium pump. That knocking will destroy your motor over time.

Regular is fine on the stock piston, but it's a really low compression piston.

Most dealership techs dont know their rear from a hole in the ground. I wouldn't reccomend asking them for advice.. lol. They'll also tell you that the honda oil is the best thing on earth. It's crap.. lol. If they want to argue otherwise.. ask them for the viscosity index, shear values etc.. they can't give them to you.. they won't publish them, because it's crap that they buy from the lowest bidder, whomever it happens to be at the time... lol.

(note: most. I know we have dealership mechanics in here. And, I'm sure most of you would agree you're not your average dealership mechanic. ;))

rebelbuggy
09-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Yea, you have to run premium on an 11:1.

Don't even think about it.. jstu get your Premium pump. That knocking will destroy your motor over time.

Regular is fine on the stock piston, but it's a really low compression piston.

Most dealership techs dont know their rear from a hole in the ground. I wouldn't reccomend asking them for advice.. lol. They'll also tell you that the honda oil is the best thing on earth. It's crap.. lol. If they want to argue otherwise.. ask them for the viscosity index, shear values etc.. they can't give them to you.. they won't publish them, because it's crap that they buy from the lowest bidder, whomever it happens to be at the time... lol.

(note: most. I know we have dealership mechanics in here. And, I'm sure most of you would agree you're not your average dealership mechanic. ;))

Yeah I hear ya, so what kinda oil do you use? if anyone sayd QS I am going to laugh, I am a Car mechanic, only thing i run in my cars are Castrol hard drive.

but not sure whats really good for a atv.