PDA

View Full Version : help building an R

slainwarrior
09-18-2006, 11:25 AM
the 250r has always been my favorite quad tho i've never owned one.. i plan on building one from the ground up this winter and plan to use ebay and the for sale section as the main source of parts for the bike..

could anyone give me a guesstimate on how much it would cost to build a decent 250r for mx/trail... i'm tryin to make this a low cost build

also any suggestions for a good motor build.. i'm looking for the best bang for the buck i've heard of the use of the 87-89 long rod crank with spacer plate and an 86 piston with a milled head and porting is a pretty potent motor

any input is greatly appreciated

crazedape
09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Try and find a whole bike with the motor locked up. That will be so much easier on you.

DPR250R
09-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Around $3000... probly more... depending on how you build it...

All year motors will work well if built and setup properly....

An open airbox, 38mm PWK carb and exhaust will be your best bang for the buck...

As far as used parts go... if you are in the Northern NJ area check these guys out....

www.ruratv.com

... They have a bunch or used 250R parts they sell. You can go check out thier inventory. You would be able to build your R from parts from them alone....

They do ship as well though... shoot them an email and see if they have what your looking for...

Good Luck... take your time and you'll be happy in the end...

wishmasstir
09-19-2006, 06:39 AM
you should be able to build a pretty nice one for around 3k. i'm windin my build down to the end right now and theres almost no stock parts on the bike at all. so you can go all out like i did or keep it closer to stock and cheaper.

as for a motor, i got a spare motor off of my buddy pretty cheap and ended up rebuilding the whole thing where as on ebay i've seen some decent complete big bore motors go for a shade over $700. which is what i have in mine now. i wish i would of went that route now for my motor...:(

CorvetteZ06
09-19-2006, 07:31 AM
I agree, 3-4 grand, but i would lean more to the 4 grand side. try and find a grenaded R first to tear down and rebuild. If you can't find one for cheap, then build from scratch. goodluck! your building the BEST quad ever made!

slainwarrior
09-19-2006, 08:21 AM
thanks for replying guys. i plan to get started on this project real soon. could you guys give me any good info on the motor build i mentioned above and what year frame would you recommend i dunno if i should go with a no-link frame and swinger or not.

wishmasstir
09-19-2006, 09:22 AM
an aftermarket frame is the best way to go but you cant always find them too cheap. stock frames can be found in good condition. the 86-87 frames didn't have a rear crossmember that the motor bolts to on the 88-89 models, it had a bracket that attached to the swingarm and bolted the motor to that. you can run a 88-89 style swingarm if you make rear motor mount brackets or add the crossmember i just spoke of. i never ran a no-link 250r so i cant help you there. the cheapest route on shocks would be a stock rear and 450r fronts (some people from this forum have been using them). a stock rear shock can be rebuilt. the motor, just as you said with the port job to what style riding you do and i always use to run the long rod and 86 style piston w/spacer plate. run a good exhaust system and 38mm carb and it'll rip. the big bore kits and pv motor cost more but you get more i think

arego
09-20-2006, 10:16 AM
i spent 5500 on a whole bike and got a good deal I think.

just look around you can pick up really nice r's for good prices since the four stroke market has taken over.

my bike is
aluminum framed
ct330pv
custom axis long travel fr and rear
cr ignition
the list goes on

just keep lookin good suspension set up is whats gonna decide how much the build will cost and after riding stock suspension for years i would highly suggest long travel it rides like a cadillac compared to most others.

just keep yours eyes open you may have to travel a few miles to pick it up. It was worth it in my opinion

A A R O N
09-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by wishmasstir
an aftermarket frame is the best way to go but you cant always find them too cheap. stock frames can be found in good condition. the 86-87 frames didn't have a rear crossmember that the motor bolts to on the 88-89 models, it had a bracket that attached to the swingarm and bolted the motor to that. you can run a 88-89 style swingarm if you make rear motor mount brackets or add the crossmember i just spoke of. i never ran a no-link 250r so i cant help you there. the cheapest route on shocks would be a stock rear and 450r fronts (some people from this forum have been using them). a stock rear shock can be rebuilt. the motor, just as you said with the port job to what style riding you do and i always use to run the long rod and 86 style piston w/spacer plate. run a good exhaust system and 38mm carb and it'll rip. the big bore kits and pv motor cost more but you get more i think

If you're going with a stock frame, I have an 87 that's like new. Laeger's redid it and then it was pc'd red. Askin $275.....just figured i'd let ya know since aftermarket frames, although nice, can be a ***** and you can have the next best thing for not a whole lot of $.

A A R O N
09-20-2006, 07:21 PM
And as far as build cost....I know from having 3 r's and basically framing up the last one, you will spend about $3,000 for a half and half stock/aftermarket mix and match sorta deal. BUT, you will then run into a bill of about $400-$500 of specialty mounts/bolts/etc and a few headaches with parts that dont work like they should. It would be a better choice to buy a basket case that at least has the meat of the quad there, then you can redo it to you liking, without searching for ALL the minor details. Motor wise, just make sure it's of the 250r variety, the rest will take care of itself:devil:

Here's my last one....was selling for $3k, but nobody wanted it, so I am parting it out....which by the way is not cool, and I feel stupid for doing it....:ermm:

I will have another when I get the money....Full Laeger's t-pin, pv, big bore....one day....and hopefully soon. :macho

danhung11
09-21-2006, 09:19 AM
I just got done with mine....

Here is a pic of it.... I got about $4500 in it... maybe more. But I replaced all bearings and seals. The motor was just rebuilt before I got it. The compression was at 210lbs, so I was happy. This is my first 250R and it is bad arse......

I have fresh powdercoat on everything plus I had GT Thunder revalve and respring my shocks, new handlebars, polished out all calipers, and master cyllinders, new reed cage and spacer, brakes..... Once I get the graphics kit on my white plastic (the frame color is sick, but the black from the plastic and red from the graphics was killing me!)... I will write up a thread and post a bunch of pics.

Good Luck! It was fun! But my girlfriend got irritated with me when cause I spent so much time in the garage!

:devil:

danhung11
09-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Another one from the other side....

:D

blubyyou
09-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Very close to having mine done now...it's an 88. PC'd just about everything and did fullbore plastic, blue frame and plastic with polished aluminum parts. Looks awsome..I'll have about 6000 in it by the time I get my hyper wheels on it. Well worth it but I know I'll never get my money out of it if I sell it. I did it frame up and gussetted it. I may not be the quickest on the track but it will look it:D ....I'll try to get some pics of it cleaned up and at the next race coming up to post! Good Luck!!!!!

beerock
09-22-2006, 03:31 PM
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=1987461&blogID=58835923&MyToken=59784c86-3b1d-478f-967f-42219738775b

danhung11
09-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by beerock
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=1987461&blogID=58835923&MyToken=59784c86-3b1d-478f-967f-42219738775b

Nice build!

You from NJ? That is a haul to Glamis! lol :huh

Anyways....NICE WORK! :devil:

Lonestar_R
09-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Dan your R looks great......

Slainwarrior.....I have an afteramrket Lonestar 88-89 Style frame for sale plus a few other litle parts if you are looking to start a project....I will sell it very resonable...since I need money for my Hybrid build

danhung11
09-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
Dan your R looks great......

I have an afteramrket Lonestar 88-89 Style frame for sale plus a few other litle parts if you are looking to start a project....I will sell it very resonable...since I need money for my Hybrid build

I wish I could man..... but I am in the process of saving for other "more" important things. lol

Just to have a feel for what you are asking....pm me a price and you can email me some pics to danhung11@gmail.com. :devil:

I have white plastics on it now... it looks real clean! I just got my brand new wiring harness, AC regulator. I am looking for some trail tech lights to run at the dunes. We are going to Little Sahara 10/19. You should meet us down there! :D